Anyone stayed in Yosemite National Park?

Josey Wales

Hi,

I am going to be in San Francisco later this year and I was wondering if anybody has been to Yosemite National Park. I know it is near San Francisco and we could go on a day tour to the park.

There are also a few hotels within the park and I was considering staying there overnight. Just wondering if anyone has done this or how easy it is to get between San Francisco and Yosemite.

Thanks.

Don't think you could do a day tour- it takes a few hours to drive there. It is a fantastic place and well worth staying a few days esp if you are into hiking. In my opinion you would need at least two or three days to do it justice ( although if I were going again I'd go for at least a week).

Thinking about it, I'd say it took us at least 4 hours to drive there from SF. Depending on the time of year you go, it can be too hot in the middle of the day to do any serious hiking, so we used to hike early morning and late afternoon and have a long lunch and 'siesta' in the hottest part of the day. REally don't think you would get anything out of a day trip.

You can book accomodation within the park on www.california.com there are a number of camp sites and cabins the Yosemite Lodge is the best and most expensive, as far as I am aware booking can only be made within a certain number of months prior to requested date, but if you don't get a booking there the nearest town with accomodations is quite a drive away. A car is essential and I fully agree with the last poster, stay a couple of days at the very least.

hi,
Great place to visit. As Vanilla has said it is a 3 or 4 hour drive from San Francisco. We hired a car and it was an easy drive.

It is quite expensive to stay in the Park, as they use the revenue for the upkeep of the park.
You have a choice of a canvas cabin, which is like a military tent, with a wooden floor, and a metal framed tent about 6 foot high with a bed inside.
a big step up from camping, but not heated, so bring your tracksuit and woolly socks to sleep in. You can also stay in a heated wooden cabin which is more expensive. There are hotels which look nice, but pricey.

I stayed in the Yosemite Bug. Should find it on the web.They picked us up from san fran and we stayed 2 nites. Log cabins were really nice, we had the ensuite cabins but there was tents and shared dorms available as well.
The first day we left SF in the morning and arrived in the Bug place in the afternoon so we just went for a walk around and then had dinner there. Next morning we left early to go to the park. Amazing place that i didnt even know existed before i went to San Fran. The owner was iriish as far as i remember.

It's a great place to go, but I agree with everything Vanilla said. Just be aware that even in summer, it gets COLD at night. Bring woolies...

Take 2-3 days if you can, it's well worth it!

I stayed here - just off season so we got it at the off-season price. It's quite high up. It was a great house. It is a 7 miles down to the valley.

Marion

I was in Yosemite for a day and I really regret not staying longer to appreciate the place fully. You can stay in motels outside the park which is less expensive; though you definitely need a car then to travel in and out. Don't worry the entrance fee covers you for a week ($20)

Yosemite is an amazing place - only had two days there, stayed over night in a motel about an hour's drive from the valley. Would reccomend staying in the park if you can as the place is hugh, you will only get it when you get there. Plus if you want to do any hiking its can be best to do it early in the morn (i.e. dawn) as it can get hot later on in the day, so its best to stay as close as possible.

Would love to go in the winter as I'd say the place is amazing with snow and ice. Spring is the best time to go apparently..

Back