Anyone seen the Shawshank Redemption play

Shawady

Anyone seen the play of the Shawshank Redemption that was on in Dublin last year?
It is back in the Gaiety next month and was considering going. I would be interested what others thought of it.

I went to see it, & though I was a bit dubious beforehand about how it would transfer to the stage I shouldn’t have been. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s based on the book rather than the movie. I don’t think Red is being played by Reg E Cathey this time around, which is a shame, but Kevin Anderson is playing Dufresne.

I went to see it, & though I was a bit dubious beforehand about how it would transfer to the stage I shouldn’t have been. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s based on the book rather than the movie. I don’t think Red is being played by Reg E Cathey this time around, which is a shame, but Kevin Anderson is playing Dufresne.

I saw it too and would agree with these comments

True, but my only gripe is that Cathey and Anderson were so close to Freeman and Robbins that it was hard not to make comparissons. Still enjoyable though.

I liked it, but i feel part of the reason I liked it was the sense of familiarity i had with it, and that being so familiar with both the book and the film, I coudnt form an objective opinion on it.

I do remember I felt it lost the pace a little in the second half, I began to notice other members of the audience rustling in their bags, checking watches, passing comments to each other - the fact they were doing this and I noticed it at all indicated the pacing was off.

But overall - yeah, worth a look!

Back