Anyone met Scrooge this festive season?

podgerodge

I met him in the guise of my new doctor:

28th Dec - visited doc, diagnosed with chest infection - sick cert and antibiotic given. I ask how much - 50 euro.

3rd Jan - return visit - still not cleared up - 2 minutes later prescription for more antibiotic given.

I ask " how much "

He says "Ahhhh, sure you were only with me a few days ago, and sure it's Christmas when all is said and done - and you haven't had a good one have you......Let's say.........40 euro"

God love his generosity!!

20% discount? That's nice. At least you met this Scrooge after he had been haunted.

hehe thought i might get a reply like that from you! :)

i would look at it another way - not a 20% discount but his fault in the first place for wrongly diagnosing how much antibiotic I would require 5 days earlier - as it is only for this reason that I had to return. I should not have had to pay anything like 40 euro when there was no new diagnosis involved! I won't even mention "rip off" !

Im with you on that one. i would have said "your charging me again, even though you didnt fix me the 1st time round, I dont think so mateymoo"

I'd a similar discussion over the Christmas with someone who'd been charged by a doctor on a return visit due to the doctor giving the wrong prescription in the first place. My freind said doctors are the one profession who can get things wrong and then charge you for fixing their mistake. Imagine if for example a plumber messed up on fixing your sink then when you called him back a few days later to fix it up he charged you again.

To give you the positive spin, my sister took her 9yr old to the doctor just before christmas and paid the usual €50. she returned with her 5yr old a week later with a differnet complaint and he didn't charge anything at all because she had only been in the previous week!. So fair play to that doc.

Fair play to him??? I think not, it should have been a given that your Friend wouldn't have to pay.

I went to the doctor with a few ailments the week before Xmas (have to get my moneys worth out of her)
when I was on my 3rd (and last) complaint she kind of exasperatingly threw her hands in the air and said this is all a bit much to take in considering I can only see you for 10 minutes.
You will have to come back after Xmas!!

So I very politely but firmly told her NO! I wouldn't be coming back and that I wanted everything seen to that day becasue I couldn't afford to pay her "another" €50.

she kind of changed then but the cheek!! Its like she could only deal with one or two things at once and expected me to go back after Xmas for visit part II

Don't think so.

To give you the positive spin, my sister took her 9yr old to the doctor just before christmas and paid the usual €50. she returned with her 5yr old a week later with a differnet complaint and he didn't charge anything at all because she had only been in the previous week!. So fair play to that doc.
My GP never charged me for some follow-up consultations relating to a single event/condition/episode in the past. Not sure if it was policy or just him playing it by ear. Shop around?

...my sister took her 9yr old to the doctor just before christmas and paid the usual €50. she returned with her 5yr old a week later with a differnet complaint ...So fair play to that doc.

Fair play to him??? I think not, it should have been a given that your Friend wouldn't have to pay.

A different child with a different complaint? Why should it be a given that the friend wouldn't have to pay?

blame the doctor for the health system?
Either you pay as you go (doctor has a living to earn after all)
OR we get an NHS in which everything is covered
OR we get an insurance system which covers all GP visits
You can't have it all ways. Jeez.

People aren't cars or washing machines. They have idiosyncratic responses to medications, and diseases don't develop identically in each sufferer. :rolleyes:

I met him in the guise of my new doctor:

28th Dec - visited doc, diagnosed with chest infection - sick cert and antibiotic given. I ask how much - 50 euro.

3rd Jan - return visit - still not cleared up - 2 minutes later prescription for more antibiotic given.

I ask " how much "

He says "Ahhhh, sure you were only with me a few days ago, and sure it's Christmas when all is said and done - and you haven't had a good one have you......Let's say.........40 euro"

God love his generosity!!
I think you were naive, I had a bad throat infection and went to doctor paid 50Euro, took what he told me to take 4 days later not better, back I go to him with my still same bad throat, more medicine and then he asked for 50euro again.To which I said no I gave you 50Euro already 4 days ago for the same aliment and I got no better, so I think I am right not to pay again to which he said simply ok. I have since said this to others who also had to go again for same issue and did not pay, some where not even asked to pay again

A different child with a different complaint? Why should it be a given that the friend wouldn't have to pay?

My thoughts too, I just didn't have the energy for the argument!

My apologies, I didn't read the post properly!
I thought it was the same child.
ooopppsss.

Scrooge = Rich Bar in a highway in Italy. I picked up a couple of chocolate boxes that had a "50% discount" sticker on them.
Cashier = "Sorry these haven't 50% discount"
Myself = "I didn't put the sticker on it. You did. So I want to have a discount"
Cashier = "Ok, I tried..."

I wasn't the scrooge... The scrooge was the owner of that BAR connected to a huge group of bars with the same name...

Did you finish the course? Antibiotics take time to build up in your system, maybe you should have held off a few more days before returning?

i would look at it another way - not a 20% discount but his fault in the first place for wrongly diagnosing how much antibiotic I would require 5 days earlier - as it is only for this reason that I had to return. I should not have had to pay anything like 40 euro when there was no new diagnosis involved! I won't even mention "rip off" !

If you were just returning to see him for more antibiotic then you should have just asked his secretary to arrange an additional script for an extra three or four days, they'd unlikely have charged you! Or you could have just asked the doctor to ring you when he gets a minute, again you'd likely save the 40e!

You shouldnt have asked how much you owed but rather just took the prescription and left.

If you were just returning to see him for more antibiotic then you should have just asked his secretary to arrange an additional script for an extra three or four days, they'd unlikely have charged you! Or you could have just asked the doctor to ring you when he gets a minute, again you'd likely save the 40e!

The secretary has no qualifications or authority to prescribe any medication so the patient must consult with the doctor to continue a course of medication.

Back