Anyone live near a mobile phone mast?

Ret45

Looking at living in a house which is situated 150 mts from a mobile phone mast. Am a little worried about possible effects of living beside a mast - has anyone ever had the same dilemma or looked into the issue?

Thanks bacchus, however previous post seems to refer to an ESB pylon. I am looking for information/views on living close to a mobile phone base station/booster.

Hi there Ret45,
I dont think there are problems with mobile phone masts - there are 5 AFIK in the IFSC and there are some in DCU.
Both of these places have alot of residents and people working/studding and no mal effects have been reported.
Where I live there is PP sought for one on Glasnevin Ave, and I know the residence within the locality are fighting against it. We haven't joined in as I have never heard of problems myself.
P.

Looking at living in a house which is situated 150 mts from a mobile phone mast. Am a little worried about possible effects of living beside a mast - has anyone ever had the same dilemma or looked into the issue?
The Irish Times on Friday or Saturday mentioned a recent report by some state body that concluded that there was no health risk from pylons although they did recommend that new pylons be sited away from residential developments. I can't find the details now though. Maybe somebody with an Irish Times subscription could find the details and post them (but not the copyrighted article) here? For the moment this info from Wikipedia might be of relevance.

ComReg publish reports on mast emissions, not sure to what level of detail but you may be able to find out information specific to the mast you are looking for

Regardless if there is any safety issue, consider that if you ever intend selling again that this might put off prospective buyers.

i have heard a stat (i know lies etc) that on average, you're never more than 200m from a phone mast.

COMREG has a website with a map of all the phone masts in the country on it.
[broken link removed]

This is scaremongering as far as I am concerned. Radio decreases by between the square, and the cube of distance, depending on the type of antenna. If you spend 10 mins/day on a mobile, you (your brain, anyway) will get massively more rediation than beside a mast. Organisms are also good at handling smoll doses of most things, and not good at handling larger doses, even for short periods.

I would be concerned about living near one too but the way I look on it is that I'd be giving out and complaining if I didn't have good coverage and then when the phone companies try to do something about it we complain about it. I think phone masts are just a fact of life we have to deal with if we want the luxury of mobile phones!

I generally agree that it's scaremongering, and tend to be amused when people get up in arms about phone-masts: given the level of mobile phone ownership in this country, chances are at least some of the same people also complain when they can't get a good signal

It's not something to which I'd give a second thought when purchasing a house, unless it was so close by I was concerned about the aesthetic effect.

Last edited: