Anyone know where I can dispose of tablets?

Builder

Anyone know where I can dispose of tablets, or are there any charities possibly third world charities who would take them. They are not out of date but just not needed anymore. It seems a shame to just dump them if they are of use to some-one else.

Any pharmacy will take them as far as I know. However I think that they just dispose of them safely rather than reusing them in the way that you suggest. Best to get rid of them especially if there are children about.

ClubMan is correct - medicine is classed as 'hazardous waste' and needs to be disposed of carefully.

I recently took a large amount of liquid morphine to our local Pharmacy who accepted it without question.

There was a programme mentioned a while back called D.U.M.P. They said to hand in all unused meds to your local chemist as it is much safer. They will get rid of them for you.

Thank you. I just thought that it was a shame to dispose of these items if they could have been of use to some-body.

I can see your point, but unfortunately the medicine can't be reused.

When you think about it the tablets/capsules or any liquid medicine could have been tampered with (not suggesting for a minute that you have!).

No medical professional will use a drug for which they cannot guarantee the provenance as ultimately they are responsible.

a chemist will not reuse meds under any circumstances. they just dump them.

Kildrought said:
No medical professional will use a drug for which they cannot guarantee the provenance as ultimately they are responsible.
Even unopened blister packs or sealed bottles?

Maybe it depends what they are?

I am always grateful to use friends/family augmentin, hydrocorsticyl cream, or any of the run of the mill stuff if will save me EUR45 to get a script from the doc. I know self medicating isn't always a good thing - but for known conditions like tonsillitis, recurring skin irritations etcs it can be a godsend.

Even unopened blister packs or sealed bottles?
Yes, the chain of custody has been broken. Can you imaginge the nightmare that would ensue if you had a product recall and the blister packs had been passed on from billy to jack over a period of months.

aj

Plus they could have been stored in adverse conditions, e.g. over a heater, leading to degradation.