Anyone know the cheapest passive index fund available ?

Bob5666

Hi All
Does anyone know the cheapest passive index fund with low management fees available which can be bought through an investment fund?
Thanks Bob

For people living in Ireland the cheapest is not too important, what is much more important is favourable tax treatment. See stickies.

Hi All
Does anyone know the cheapest passive index fund with low management fees available which can be bought through an investment fund?
Thanks Bob

I would look into what you want to invest in first. There are thousands upon thousands in passive index funds available. You haven't specified which type you would like to invest in? What is it tracking? What is it tracking error? Just because it is cheap, doesn't mean it is any good. The fund managers might be rubbish at their job and have a massive tracking error each year.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

@Bob5666

Are you talking about a unit linked investment product that has, in addition to the product providers active managed funds, a limited number of index tracking funds where the exit tax is managed by the product provider?

I would look into what you want to invest in first. There are thousands upon thousands in passive index funds available. You haven't specified which type you would like to invest in? What is it tracking? What is it tracking error? Just because it is cheap, doesn't mean it is any good. The fund managers might be rubbish at their job and have a massive tracking error each year.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie
Hi SBarrett
I'm looking to invest in the total world market index or S&P 500 index passive. Zurich life has such funds with 1% management fee per year. Just looking for the cheapest management fee as I am very aware theses charges have a very negative effect over a long period of time. Very annoying I cant simple buy, for example, a vanguard ETF such as SPY and cut out the middle man that I don't need. Does the 8-year roll-up apply to funds as well as Etfs ?

Last edited:
Sorry I mean Funds from insurance companies such as Zurich lifes total market index fund not sure tho are they taxed the same tho ?
Yes, EU-domiciled ETFs (and index funds generally) are subject to the same tax regime as unit-linked policies (such as those offered by Zurich).

Thanks for the info, I see my best option with the depressive tax regime here in Ireland on index funds being the likes of Berkshire Hathaway type stock that doesn’t pay a dividend but Accumulates in the company. With this option there’s more risk but at least there no charges and I can use the benefits of compounding over 30 years or so ?

Thanks for the info, I see my best option with the depressive tax regime here in Ireland on index funds being the likes of Berkshire Hathaway type stock that doesn’t pay a dividend but Accumulates in the company. With this option there’s more risk but at least there no charges and I can use the benefits of compounding over 30 years or so ?
Different people here will different views but if you are currently living in Ireland I imagine companies like Berkshire or Markel or alternatively UK investment trusts are the best way forward. If you live abroad you have more options.

Different people here will different views but if you are currently living in Ireland I imagine companies like Berkshire or Markel or alternatively UK investment trusts are the best way forward. If you live abroad you have more options.
Thanks for the info

Back