Anyone know of ProSmart Advisors UK?

DreamingOf

Hi all,

Over the last few weeks I have received a number of phone calls from Financial advisors based in London called ProSmart Advisors. Has anyone used or heard of them?

The context to these calls has raised my internal caution-flag. During the first call I asked where they got my details and number from - they said it was simply on their database. I definitely never sought them out and requested any advice/information from them so how did my details come to be on their database!?! I wonder could they possibly have bought my details from some other institution? (Years ago, I know I gave my details to some investment companies when looking for basic information).

(To date, they have simply sent me an email introducing themselves and their services - but no doubt a proposition will soon be around the corner)

Anyway, I am interested both:
- if you have heard of these and if so in what context?
- also if this is all simply part of the cold-call process some advisors go through to drum up business or could there be a sting in the tale?

You can see if they are authorised on the central bank website. They more than likely won't be. NEVER EVER do any financial transactions based on a cold call. My advice is hang up on them next time they ring and report them to the central bank if they are not authorised.

I did a quick search on the Central Bank's online registers and cannot find any reference to Pro Smart or Prosmart.

Besides, I could have sworn that cold-calling into Ireland from abroad in relation to financial services was illegal. I could be wrong on this. I know that the new Consumer Protection Code pretty much bans Irish regulated firms from cold-calling except in very limited circumstances.

Even ignoring all of the above, none of the good financial advisers that I know would ever dream of cold-calling. Why? Because the good ones don't need to. Word of mouth referrals keep them busy.

I'd be very VERY wary of doing business with any company that I'd never heard of, that cold-called me from outside Ireland.

Thanks Sunny and LDFerguson

Much appreciate your advice and needless to say - your advice will be taken.

Thanks again.

Hi there.

I've had a few calls from them myself. They sounded genuine and honest, checked out the web site, all looked ok. thought i'd do a bit more digging on them. Went on the FSA web site as they said the were registered. A company called Pro smart was registerd untill 2006, they were based in rochester, kent.
I then checked out the address, the post code was no good as it was incomplete, luckily 125 old broad steet in a new ish development 2008 and has a web site with a list of current tennants, yes you've gussed it, they're not on the list.

Like the other post, if they're any good they don't need to cold call and if its to good to be true then it isn't.

Andrew

Back