anyone know of broadband solns that allow faster upload speeds? (More than 384K/s)

L

lanky

Hi

Does anyone know of broadband solutions that allow high upload speeds? (More than 384K/s)

Am currently with BT - the service delivers the promised speeds but uploads are just too slow when sending large emails or archiving in Outlook/Exchange.

I am living in Cabinteely, Dublin 18.

Thanks

Lanky

Re: Faster upload speed

Upload speeds on different packages should be outlined in some of the links here:

Key Post: Broadband packages & availability - check here if shopping around

I think that many ADSL packages max out at 256Kbps upload. I guess some must provide for 384Kbps since you mention it but I doubt that you will get higher on ADSL (Asymmetric DSL). You can get symmetric upload and download speeds on some other sorts of non ADSL/phone line based broadband if you really need it.

Are you compressing attachments when sending them?

A few months ago I asked BT, my current ADSL provider, about this for the same reasons. For 2M synchronous they were quoting €375 per month.

Thanks for the replies. Irish Broadband might be an option from the table and I'll look into that.

€375 was the type of figure I feared. Roll on ADSL2!

Does anyone know if its possible to have two broadband lines and get the benefit of both when uploading i.e. 2 X 384k?

Thanks

Lanky

For two ADSL lines you would need two landlines and this means two line rental charges. I don't think that you can merge two physical ADSL lines as a single logical line with twice the capacity. Not sure if routers exist to do this or the internet infrastructure would support it.

For two ADSL lines you would need two landlines and this means two line rental charges. I don't think that you can merge two physical ADSL lines as a single logical line with twice the capacity. Not sure if routers exist to do this or the internet infrastructure would support it.

You can (and at the same time you can't) :confused:

Two routers on two adsl lines connected to a networking hub would give twice the available connection, but each incoming or out going connetion can use half the speed.....

so say you are downloading a single file from an standard FTP program , you can use half the speed... but if you start to download a second file that can use the other half of the line...

to the op , what do you want this speed for ? what type of software....

Yes - but I was talking about merging two physical lines into a single logical connection (channel bonding maybe?) which I don't think is possible?

The original poster says they need the extra upload speed for Outlook/Exchange access. Seems odd since I use the job's Outlook and Outlook Web Access from home to connect to Exchange and regularly send/receive large attachments without much trouble on a 2Mbps/256Kbps connection.

Have you tested the line speed to check that you are actually getting the expected upload speed (www.irishisptest.com )?http://www.irishisptest.com)?

Sounds like you might not be getting full speed (contention issues perhaps) - quick and easy check at [broken link removed]

Would this help ?

[broken link removed]

I know I found it quite beneficial when I had dial up.

Thanks again everyone.

I since asked a friend in the telco industry and was told that we can expect double the current speed of download and uploads in the coming 6 months at similar price to now.

Onspeed looks like a good product, however I work over VPN mostly which onspeed doesn't support. I'll try it for my non-work related stuff on my personal laptop though.

To answer JHegarty's question: I need this kind of speed for three situations:

1) Archiving my Outlook email back to exchange server. I travel and work remotely a lot. Corporate policy is for 100Mb mailbox limit so I have to archive often. This involves uploading and is painfully slow.
2) I reasonably often have documents in the 3mb range to send.
3) Uploading photos - I use an SLR which gives me large file sizes.

Thanks

Lanky

Re: anyone know of broadband solns that allow faster upload speeds? (More than 384K/s

lanky said:
I since asked a friend in the telco industry and was told that we can expect double the current speed of download and uploads in the coming 6 months at similar price to now
Really?!
Not from the reviews that I've read!
Exactly! - Onspeed is designed for dial-up and it compresses data (especially images) before it's sent/recieved. Absolutely no difference at all when I tried it so I just wen't with BB. And as it happens save a lot more money now!

Re: anyone know of broadband solns that allow faster upload speeds? (More than 384K/s

To answer JHegarty's question: I need this kind of speed for three situations:

1) Archiving my Outlook email back to exchange server. I travel and work remotely a lot. Corporate policy is for 100Mb mailbox limit so I have to archive often. This involves uploading and is painfully slow.
2) I reasonably often have documents in the 3mb range to send.
3) Uploading photos - I use an SLR which gives me large file sizes.

Thanks

Lanky

1. You could try and minimise the space you are trying to archive:
- empty the recycle bin before you archive
- compact the personal folders before you archive
- not sure if you can do this one, as I don't know how your archiving works : archive to a local disk on your laptop, zip the archive file and then store it back on your server.
2. If you have big documents, zip them before you send them. Most of word documents is empty space, so if you zip them, you should see a saving in time to send them.
3. If you're uploading photos for other people to look at, try reducing the size of them. It won't seriously impact the quality unless they are particularly fine (!). 250k is generally enough for a jpg photo to fill a computer screen with perfectly good resolution.

HTH.

What documents are regularly 3MB? Are you sure that these are not Office documents unnecessarily retaining a full history of edits or something like this? I see this all the time in our job - people who know no better sending multi MB word docs with a few pages in them but also the retained editing history from the doc that was copied in the first place! The old "sexed up WMD report syndrome".

To return to the original question, Irish Broadband's Breeze broadband service is a wireless connection offering a 3 Mb/s upload AND download at € 48.40 a month or a 2Mb/s at € 35.99

To return to the original question, Irish Broadband's Breeze broadband service is a wireless connection offering a 3 Mb/s upload AND download at € 48.40 a month or a 2Mb/s at € 35.99
You omitted to mention the small issue of the 24:1 contention ratio which means that you are only guaranteed 125Kbps throughput on the 3Mbps package although you may be lucky and get higher.

You omitted to mention the small issue of the 24:1 contention ratio which means that you are only guaranteed 125Kbps throughput on the 3Mbps package although you may be lucky and get higher.
Also from what i've heard it has weather issues (And this time of year the low lying fog comes I think). and "must be line of sight" with the mast, which will reduce speeds dramatically.

I'm not sure that Breeze has weather issues. I used it before and weather played no part in things (i.e. the connection was no obviously affected by adverse weather conditions). Irish Broadband themselves, their service generally and their support - now those were another matter altogether (admittedly c. 2-4 years ago). I would have thought that the likes of satellite broadband was more likely to be affected in this way anyway?

Back