Anyone in Dublin ever dealt with these dealerships?

dmos87

Hi All,

Hoping those in Dublin who use this website could help me out. I was rear-ended on Wednesday just passed, and long story short, my car is written off. Gutted is not the word, I loved my car. I want to get the same make and model car again and have tracked down two in Dublin (unfortunately none closer to Cork within budget). The first is in Clarehall Motors in Malahide, and the other is in 1st Avenue Garage in Tallaght. Both listed on Carzone.

I'm not from Dublin, and google didn't bring up reviews for either dealership. I plan on going up this week to view both cars while also visiting my sister who now lives up there, but I'm wondering has anyone used either dealership before and could perhaps give me a little review on how they found them to deal with? Many thanks for any replies.

(Mods, I read through the posting guidelines before posting this and couldn't find anything that said not to - apologies if I'm wrong and please remove post if so).

Hi,

Sorry I don't know anything about these dealerships but I think you would be mad to buy a car in a garage that is so far away from home and that you know nothing about. If you do get a warranty but something goes drastically wrong you would have to get the car back to Dublin for repair.

Sometimes you just have to let go of a particular type of car if you cannot find exactly what you want. Its happened to me in the past and on changing models I felt that there were + and - to both.

I'm not a fan at all of imports and notice that the one in Malahide has their website as [broken link removed] I think quite a number of insurance companies used to or may still have problems with imports especially when a claim comes about.

You should always get someone to check a car out for you such as a good mechanic.

There are some very good tips in the key posts in this forum that you should read through before you purchase http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=9002

There are many car dealerships that come and go these days especially in/around the Tallaght district. If you use Google maps you will see what I mean.

Hope you get something suitable but be careful where and what you buy

Some good advice there from Mrs Doyle but one point I wouldn't fully agree with. I would have no problem buying from an SIMI registered dealer in any part of the country as you will get (or at least should insist on getting) a warranty that allows you to bring the car to a garage near to you, not back to the dealer you purchased it from. You can check if they are SIMI registered at the SIMI website.
But certainly from a quick look at both these dealerships I would be very slow to buy from these. The Tallaght "dealership" only lists a mobile number and operates out of a small unit in an industrial estate - buyer beware springs to mind!

I wouldnt be so reliant on SIMI warranty. IMO they are a very thin veil over the dealers that act entirely for dealers e.g. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83043530

OP, i'd be more less inclinded to deal with 1st Avenue Garage due to only supplying a mobile number, the Clarehall one looks more legit

Guys thanks so much for the replies. Mrs. Doyle was right; I had to let go of my hopes for the same car, as sad as it was. Dublin is just too far away in case something was to go wrong.

We've found ourselves a lovely 2007 Corolla Verso in Cork from a dealership we know well and trust - our family have bought 3 cars from them over the years, so very confident. It meant dipping into our savings, but I feel its justified. We've just had our first child so the space is priceless, its a lower engine size than my old car therefore Tax is less, and its 6 years newer than my old car. Ultimately, this car is the family car for the next 7-10 years (touch wood), and so a dependable spacious car was needed. I'm thrilled collecting her tomorrow!