Anyone heard of Mattcrete?

triplex

Hi folks,

Friends down south recently had their front garden and driveway replaced with Mattcrete - in black. It looks fabulous and from speaking to other people who have it for years, it lasts well and is maintainence-free. Essentially it's concrete with 'matts' over it, which create a pattern.eg brick

Would anyone know of a company in North county dublin or the surrounding areas who might do same?

Many thanks,

Hi Triplex, and welcome to AAM. I presume Mattcrete is a trade name of a particular providor? There have been a few previous discussions here on the merits of imprint concrete driveways.
Leo

I know of a company in Co Louth that do this, don't have contact details @ min but will get them soon as and post here for you.

It looksd great when first laid but does fade rather quickly and needs to to be re varnished,one point thourghly check out your contractor ,talk to a few people he has worked for as there are plenty of cowboys out there.If it goes wrong it is no end of hassle -speaking from experience.

As I see more driveways with imprinted concrete on my travels I'm starting to like the idea more and more. The black looks ok when done in a slate effect, though I don't like the octagonal effect, guess it's all a matter of personal taste.

I'd love to see some examples of ones done in a cobblelock effect (i.e. different colour brick effect around the edges or something like that).

Spoke to the cowboy who did our neighbours cobblelocking. He says he also does imprinted concrete but it's a lot of hassle as 'the heat makes the lacquer peel off and you have to re-lacquer it every 6 months'. Wouldn't go with this lad either way as he was a pure yee-hah, but would be interested to know others' experience of the maintenance requirements.

I thought it was actually coloured concrete as opposed to a colour applied to normal concrete after it's poured so am not sure how the colour could peel. Or is it the case that the concrete itself is coloured before pouring, but the lacquer is applied to seal it and give the shiny finish (don't like the shine off it, looks plasticy)?

How does it compare costwise to cobblelocking? Would be interested to see what the going rate is per square metre and recommendations of reputable companies doing it in Dublin.

thanks for all of that folks!

havealaugh, it was actually that Adamstown company who did my friend's driveway and by all accounts, they did an excellent job -no messing and cleaned up after themselves as well.

i doubt if they'd travel to dublin tho!