Anyone having problems with Clicksilver?

CCOVICH

Using Clicksliver and for a few days in the past week no access (I was unable to get web access until 9.30 or so this evening). Anyone else having problems? I'm in Portmarnock (I don't know if this makes any difference).

In the past hour my UTV Clicksilver 1Mbps download/128Kbps upload connection has been giving c. 25Kbps/8Kbps as reported by this speed tester. :(

Update: seems to be back to normal now (23:30).

Yeah I noticed that the download speed was very bad on Sunday night as well. Didn't bother to test it though, just got p***ed off and shutdown.

Just checked my speed and it's 255kbps (sh**e).

Noticed that they don't seem to be charging the €99 'installation'. I'm still on the trial, I wonder if I'll have to pay at the end?

My Speeds are 244kbs

Looks like I wont be dowloading anything tonight

May get onto them tomorrow

I'm hoping a Clicksilver user can answer this question. With Eircom there is a Call Answering service - callers can leave a message. I should hear soon if I'm getting a Broadband trial from Utv and wonder will the Call Answering service continue? Don't know how I'd manage without it.

I signed up for ClickSilver Plus (more expensive when the trial ends) on the basis that the contention ratio is 1:24 with C+ but only 1:48 for the basic service. Nieve question - would that make a difference to the speed which people are finding recently? If I get the trial I intend to migrate to plain ClickSilver when payment kicks in. However, reading about the slow-down makes me wonder about Utv. Maybe BT might be better.
CCOVICH - sorry to have to tell you - Utv's "one off installation charge of €99 applies following your three month free trial." Just read it in the documentation they sent.

sherib said:
I'm hoping a Clicksilver user can answer this question. With Eircom there is a Call Answering service - callers can leave a message. I should hear soon if I'm getting a Broadband trial from Utv and wonder will the Call Answering service continue? Don't know how I'd manage without it.

I presume that you mean when you are already on a call? You do know that you can use the internet with broadband and at the same time use the phone for voice calls?

I signed up for ClickSilver Plus (more expensive when the trial ends) on the basis that the contention ratio is 1:24 with C+ but only 1:48 for the basic service. Nieve question - would that make a difference to the speed which people are finding recently?

Not naive at all! I never thought of that myself. As explained [broken link removed] the maximum bandwidth can, in the worst case scenario, be divided by the maximum contention ratio numerator. Also as they mention this was largely academic when broadband takeup was low but maybe nowadays it's becoming a real issue? Perhaps larger numbers of people are using broadband at certain times (e.g. evening) and this is hitting effective throughput for others?

For the record my current speed is c. 307Kbps on a nominally 1Mbps link with 48:1 contention ratio.

Feck. This would be a real pain in the ass if it is a higher contention ratio kicking in. Even worse than the low speeds is the fact that I haven't been able to get any access at times recently. Last night after I posted, the whole thing gave up (i.e. couldn't get online at all). This was the case until after 11 at least (a good hour or more).

Thanks for the info on the installation charge Sherib. Looking at their website last night, it appeared that the installation charge was no longer charged.

You have given me cause to question choosing utv. I'm not 100% sure that utv are charging that connection fee but it's in their documentation and I have no reason to believe that's changed.

Yes, I do know calls can be taken while using Broadband. For information, Eircom's Call Waiting service is like have an answering machine. A caller can leave a message if not home, don't answer it or on another call. It's free with Eircom but discovered today utv do provide it but there's a small monthly charge for the Eircom mailbox when provided by Utv. Utv also charge for Call Forwarding which is free with eircom AFAIK.

At the start of this month I moved from the "free" trial period to the first ("free") month of my twelve month contract. I have not been charged the installation fee yet. Hopefully it stays that way.

As for intermittent speed problems (which have not yet been pinned down to any specific cause) - as I mentioned elsewhere UTV merely resell eircom's iStream residential ADSL packages so if they have such problems then eircom will have them too since they both use the same infrastructure - unlike others such as IrishBroadband, Smart, BT (in some cases/exchanges) etc.

ClubMan said:
At the start of this month I moved from the "free" trial period to the first ("free") month of my twelve month contract. I have not been charged the installation fee yet. Hopefully it stays that way.

Amen.

ClubMan said:
As for intermittent speed problems (which have not yet been pinned down to any specific cause) - as I mentioned elsewhere UTV merely resell eircom's iStream residential ADSL packages so if they have such problems then eircom will have them too since they both use the same infrastructure - unlike others such as IrishBroadband, Smart, BT (in some cases/exchanges) etc.

Is it possible that there is some maintenance/upgrading going on at the moment. I have had Clicksilver for around 2 months I'd say, and there have never been any issues like the ones that I have experienced in the past week.

As a matter of interest, is this a city(Dublin)wide or countrywide problem, or is it isolated? As I said I'm in Portmarnock, CMan is around D7 (if memory serves correctly) any southsiders having problems?

I've used UTV for about 6 months now at my place (D7, Crown Alley exchange) and somebody else's (Rathmines) with no problems other than in the last few weeks. The problems I had were one weekend outage for about a day the time that eircom were upgrading their ADSL lines (including those used by packages sold by other operators such as UTV) from 512Kbps to 1Mbps and then two or three late evening slowdowns (sometimes to dial-up equivalent speeds). I don't yet have an explanation for these incidents and they haven't become serious enough for me to contact UTV support.

Back