Anyone have (or considering) a Netbook?

R

rmelly

For example:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...spiron-9?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&ref=homepg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook

I'm considering getting one (haven't decided the make/model), would like to know of any experiences e.g. battery life, software compatibility etc.

In theory the processor and the SSD drive should improve battery life, but then again the battery is a 4-cell 32WHr Li-Ion Battery...

I haven't done much research yet, they seem to be full computers (without some peripherals), but do I have full control over it to install whatever I want - e.g. change OS (assuming licenced if required, and drivers available), Anti Virus, firewall, 3G Modem, full windows patches/fixpacks support, different browsers etc?

I already have high spec laptops, so I'm not looking for performance.

Regardless of the technical specification, the principal drawback, for me, would be the physical dimensions - smaller keybopard (& touch pad) and screen. If it is not comfortable to use, the value or features are, IMHO, irrelevant.

I'm also interested in getting one of these. Already have a desktop and laptop in the house and the small and light form factor for surfing appeals to me.

I've been looking at a few models over the past few weeks and have narrowed it down to the Dell Mini 9, Acer Aspire One or Advent 4211. The latter two are sold in PC World. All come with Windows XP (although the Acer also comes in Linux flavours). The primary difference is that the Dell has a SSD of 16GB while the Acer and Advent have HDD's of 120GB and 80GB respectively. Both the Dell and Acer are €399 while the Advent is €379. The advantage of the SSD is that the machine is completely silent as no cooling fan is required and also that there are no moving parts in it.

Having read extensive reviews, there is little complaint about the size of the keyboards on these machines. The netbook segment seems to have stigmatised with tiny keyboards because of the Asus EEE PC's which have teeeeny keyboards on some of their models.

Although in saying all this, I read that Samsung are preparing to launch their own Netbook and I might wait to see what that is like.

Have a look on engagdet, gizmodo or other tech sites for user reviews.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've been reading some reviews, I think Dell will be bringing out a Ubuntu version soon, it may be more expensive or have less features though.

I was hoping to get a look at the Mini 9 in Dixons in Jervis to try the keyboard, forgot it was closed to become a PC World (opening in 5 weeks). Keyboard size probably not an issue for me though as I'm not a touch typist.

I have answered most of my questions, a couple I need to checkup on further:

i. RAM upgradability
ii. Whether it has built in sim slot for 3G broadband (not really a show stopper either way), but have seen conflicting info.

Anyone know anywhere else I could see the Dell one in city centre?

I'll check up on the Samsung one, and the others mentioned, thanks.

I got an asus from pcworld a few weeks ago, got it for my 9 year old, perfect solution for browsing, email, and openoffice. Running linux, nice simple interface, and cost 270 euro. I was happy with it, so was she, just 8G of memory, but we have a NAS at home so was'nt worried about it. We also have a network printer.

Overall I thought it was great, and was going to put new version of ubuntu onto it (ubuntu lite i think its called), then a few issues came up. First of ipod, not easy to get it working, and I also had probs getting the printer working. The IPOD was the showstopper, had it been my own machine, I would have kept it, it was a neat little solution, and I dont care about IPOD enough to spend the time needed to get it working.

9year old pressure on the IPOD issue meant me returning it for a similar "netbook" an advent running xp with 80g hd. Again nice machine, 380 euros I think it cost.

Wexfordman

I have an Advent 4211. It cost 380 in PC World.

It's the mutts nuts as far as portable computing goes. The keyboard is a bit smaller than a normal sized one. but it seems to be far better than the EEE PC ones, and I can get up a good head of steam typing on it. TBH, while the keyboard is smaller than my Macbook (which has been retired to desktop use), I actually find it easier to type.
The specs are
1.6 Atom processor
1 gig ram (upgradeable to 2 gigs - search the interweb for how to do it)
80 gig hd (again upgradeable to whatever size you want)
SD slot which the internet leads me to believe will take the SDHC cards which I think run up to 16 gigs
3 usb slots
Wifi & bluetooth
10.1 inch screen which is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the 7 inch EEE PC, and considerably better than the 9 inch version.
Windows XP - the full OS, so it can run anything that a desktop computer can

The battery life is a bit poor, coming in at about 2 hours, but I gather a longer life battery will be available in the next few months boosting the life to 4-5 hours.

All in all, I highly recommend it as a portable solution.

I picked up an EEE 901 recently http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB994662&productID=S5712688 (not from Elara mind).

The machine is great, perfect for surfing on the couch etc.
Keyboard is a bit small for serious typing though, but grand for occasional use. The numbers are offset one key to the left which is annoying.
Screen is slightly small, but thats the trade-off for the small overall dimensions.
Its light & battery life is good (4-5 hours).
The trackpad is a bit juddery (apparently a Linux issue, should be OK in XP)
20GB SSD was a big draw, as it can take knocks and bumps a bit better.

BUT (and its a big but):
The Linux on it is dreadful - I had to reset it to factory settings within an hour of using it ... all because I tried to add/upgrade an application.
Very very disappointed in this, as I had intended to use it primarily under Linux, and put XP on it only if necessary.
The word on the net is to not use the add application in the standard menus.
Now I've 2 options - put XP on it, or change it to Ubuntu. Either way, I can foresee a couple of evenings installing / tweaking "fiddling" to get it going properly. Not what I had in mind really.

Software:
I got it working OK with the wireless network and NAS, won't work with the network printer (Brother MFC5460CN - windows only apparently). I'm not even going to waste my time trying to get phone/mp3 players, oddball work-related software etc. working with it on any version of Linux. XP for all that.
I'd only recommend a Linux version of these if a) you don't intend to be adding too many applications & are happy with the standard offerings (which to be fair are good), or b) you know your way around Linux and don't mind fiddling with it every time you add something.

RAM and OS Versions:
Ram is upgradeable, and it was available in XP (but with 12GB SSD, not 20GB).
If you're getting a Dell with Ubuntu, it should be cheaper and/or have more features as Ubuntu is cheaper (free?) than the cost of a Windows XP licence.
The EEE 901s have bluetooth and 802.11n BTW

I'd give the EEE 901 a 9 out of 10 if it had XP on it, with the rubbish Linux its a 6/10

Back