anyone have any experience in dealing with inspectors from the private security auth?

Henny Penny

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with inspectors from the private security authority.

One of my clients had a visit this morning where the inspector had been driving around the area and noticed that the alarm on her commercial premises did not have a registered number on it.

He informed her that if the company who installed the alarm was not licensed by the authority that my client could be liable for a fine/court appearance.

Any advice welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Private security service act

Was the Alarm installed by a licenced company?
If so she just has to show the inspector the companys invoice.
If not then you client could be liable for a fine/court appearance.

However.... If your client purchased & installed the system them self then no law has been broken. Also if a friend installed the system and did not recieve any payment or reward in return , again no law has been broken.
Hope this helps

Sounds like someone with nothing better to do made a complaint.

So if I install a yale alarm on my house, I can be prosecuted?

The whole area of security alarms is now regulated by the PSA, who take it really seriously, many have already been prosecuted, they are also bringing in new licencing for CCTV later this year

They seem to be generating alot of work for themselves.

But surely its better to have that whole industry regulated rather than any Tom Dick or Harry installing security in our homes!!

So no offences are committed if you self install alarms or CCTV?

As far as I know there could be issues with the seller of the equipment to you, stores like woodies, B&C etc. are now not permitted 'by law' to sell these products - but I'd need to check this out for a fact

As far as I know there could be issues with the seller of the equipment to you, stores like woodies, B&C etc. are now not permitted 'by law' to sell these products - but I'd need to check this out for a fact
That must be recent surely as theres such a big market in selling kit to diyers??
I thought the only issue with self install was the fact that insurance companies will not take it into account - they will only discount premiums on systems that have been installed by a trade registered professional..

So if I install a yale alarm on my house, I can be prosecuted?

No you can't

But surely its better to have that whole industry regulated rather than any Tom Dick or Harry installing security in our homes!!
Agreed! But I have yet to see a door person at a pub/night club with a number displayed. This is what the PSA was initially founded for.

So no offences are committed if you self install alarms or CCTV?
Correct

Selling you equipment is not an offence. It is not a security system untill its installed. Its only components.