Anyone go to see anything in the Jameson festival? Any other recommendations?

Update on my earlier rant.

Now seen Social Network and Black Swan - both definitely worth a watch.

Social Network an 8/10 for me
Black Swan 7.5 or 8/10

Just in from "Source Code ". Jake Gllyenhaal. Directed by Bowie's son. Fantastic movie.

Not a movie but a play, but well worth a view. Went to see "Cat on a hot tin roof" in the Gate t'other night. I didn't see the original Liz Taylor movie, but the play is excellent. The female lead role plays a blinder as Maggie.

As a bye the bye. The Gate offered all tickets at 25 for last Wed, when we went to book, the tickets were priced 32. When asked about this The Gate said "We had to ask for the special price." I think they are offering 25 for Mons as well, but be aware of this little bit of dodgey small print should it arise.

Went to see "Little White Lies" ( Les petits mouchoirs) last night in the IFI. Roll around laughing in parts, warm and achingly sad in others, the music is superb. It stars Marion Cotillard who played Piaf in "La Vie en Rose."

I don't know how French cinema manages to pull such originality out of the hat so often, but this is a 5 star movie, if you like French film, this is a must; and if you want an intro into it, this is a good un to start you off.

Saw "How I Ended the Summer", IFI Dublin. Russian movie. Sharp division of opinion with me film buddy. He loved the atmospherics and depth of feeling. It's set on a windswept weather station in the Arctic. It's about what happens between two blokes, a young rookie and a seasoned, tough veteran. Food choices were a toss between Walrus meat or wind dried arctic trout, throw in some terrible news and a pinch of isolation-induced psychosis, and you get either a thoughtful moral movie (buddys view) or an exercise in Russian depression, dreariness and bleakness; engaging at times, but not one to see if yer on yer uppers (my view).

Last edited:
Not a movie but a play, but well worth a view. Went to see "Cat on a hot tin roof" in the Gate t'other night. I didn't see the original Liz Taylor movie, but the play is excellent. The female lead role plays a blinder as Maggie.

Another play that was turned into a film, and which is one of my all time fav's, is Glengarry Glen Ross.

Small cast, only a few scenes, but amazing acting. Jack Lemmon, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris and Al Pacino at their best.

If you have never seen it, rent it tonight. You won't regret it.