Anyone flown transatlantic on Am. Airlines 757?

spinal_tap

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of flying transatlantic on a Boeing 757?

American Airlines operate one from Shannon to Chicago. The seating configuration is two rows of three.

Is that really, really cramped for a 7hr 30min flight?

I flew continental to Newark last year on a similar plane - thought it was awful - no good in-flight entertainment and very cramped. Wouldn't recommend it but that said, AA apparently have more leg-room on their flights (so they claim).

I changed from American to Continental precisely because Continental use 757s. For my final destination I have to connect anyway so it makes no odds to me whether I fly to NY, Chicago, Boston or anywhere else so I can choose the carrier and route. There are a number of advantages to the 757 in my books including the fact that because it is a smaller plane it doesn't take nearly as long to load and unload all the passangers, and also I *hate* being stuck in the middle row on widebodies, so having a plane with no middle row adds greatly to my comfort level. In terms of legroom and space in general I haven't found the 757 (Continentals ones anyway) to be poor.

Incidentally, Coontinental are due to re-equip their Irish routes before summer - I understand that seat back entertainment is on the way. Up to now none of the carriers between here and the US operated seat back entertainment as far as I know, certainly EI, AA & CO didn't.

z

The main disadvantage in travelling in a single aisle aircraft is that it's next to impossible to move about - there is always a trolly in the aisle and the cabin crew do not want passengers blocking up "their" aisle. Contrast this to a B747 or A330/340 aircraft with two aisles and a number of crossover points in the cabin which make it very easy to move about and stretch the legs. Aer Lingus fly to Chicago daily from Shannon via Dublin on a twin aisle A330.

Up to now none of the carriers between here and the US operated seat back entertainment as far as I know, certainly EI, AA & CO didn't.

I flew to Los Angeles with Aer Lingus in October 2003 and we had individual seat back entertainment :)

Thanks. Don't really have much of a choice anyway — they told me last week it was a twin aisle when I rang, so a few days later I booked and only copped after booking seats that it must be a smaller plane.

Tickets are non-refundable (they said they would offer me AA vouchers which would be of little use to me as they're non-transferable).

According to the usually authoritative "SeatGuru" site there's no in seat entertainment on AA 757s which are normally used for domestic flights only but get sent on Irish routes too.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_757-200.php

If they're selling the flight as one class economy only (as they seem to be on the SNN-Chicago flights) and you've got an AA ( or maybe other Oneworld) frequent flyer status or are going on a full fare you should be able to preassign the first class seats (It's only US Domestic first class so nothing to get excited about at all but a bit better than Economy)

Even if you're don't meet those criteria you could always ask at checkin - it's not really an upgrade since all seats are sold as economy (i.e. even in the First cabin you'll get economy meals etc.) so you might get lucky.

I flew on the AA92 about a week ago and while I can't remember what sort of plane it was, it certainly was a wide body with two aisles.

No inseat entertainment unless you're in business class.

Flew ex Dublin so biggest pain (for me) was stopping in Shannon on the way out. Waste of two hours. On the way back it flies into Dublin and then onto Shannon.

Back