Anyone ever spray a stairs?

millertime

Got a quote of "€30 per step" to spray the stairs. Has anyone ever done a DIY on this before? Was thinking of buying the sprayer they have in Aldi at the moment and doing it.

Any advice?

What exactly do you mean when you say spray the stairs? Is it painting or varnishing? We bought a sprayer many moons ago but it was useless. It clogged constantly with paint.

IMHO french polishing is the best job here. We got our new stairs done and it is improving with age. A relative did it himself and it is nowhere near as nice looking.

Have you considered it or is it too costly?

Sueellen

How much did it cost to do the french polish? Our stairs at the moment is badly in need of varnishing but I don't fancy stripping it down myself!!!! Laziness I know!

Hi Ned,

About 5 years ago it was between £250/£300. This did not include stripping it down. We got a new handrail and they just french polished it.

French polishing is not a very durable finish IMHO- it's good for fine furniture and improves with age but wouldn't stand up to the rough and tumble that it would receive on a staircase. It won't tolerate water or alcohol either. A clear laquer or polyurethane varnish is the job in this case I'd say.

Hi Carpenter,

We only have the french polishing on the handrails and carpet on the steps. I keep my alcohol for other uses

Unlike me then. I don't drink much these days as I spill most of it.