Anyone ever got a train in Poland ??

C

colinhanley

Or more specifically, anyone ever got a train from Warsaw to Krakow ?? Just wondering how much it typically costs

I have taken trains in Poland before ... they were (a good few years ago) relatively decent ... like old fashioned French/German trains ... both Day Trains and Sleepers

I guess Warsaw-Krakow is the premium route in the country and they probably have their best trains there -I've not travelled that route.

Looking at the website www.pkp.pl there seems a reasonable choice of trains and the fastest are just under 3 hours

The site doesn't seem to want to give fares at the moment but I'd guess it's pretty cheap

train in poland

I used the train there as well,Krakow -Berlin and back.If you haven't got the ticket before than expect to pay a little extra "under the counter",a little, not much.The trains are so cheap there that tickets are in high demand,smugglers and who knows use them for the ant-route.The intercitys are a bit less frequented,but it depends on the day .The train restaurants -if run by the Polish railway company-are worth a try.

Re: train in poland

expect to pay a little extra "under the counter"

Maybe I'm a bit naïve but do you mean a bribe?

Re: train in poland

I did once get "fined" in Poland for being on the wrong train ... had a ticket from A->B and was supposed to go via X but went via Y instead .... not deliberately but rather due to language difficulties ... When the tickets were checked and we were on the wrong train a great fuss was made and a fine of around £1 was duly demanded ... cant' recall if I got a receipt for it or not !

I would imagine that conductors on the trains are pretty poorly paid and, while not excusing it, that creates an environment where it's very easy for them to be tempted to top up their incomes in an unauthorised way.

Re.:

Yes,I mean a "bribe".As EvilDoctorK said the people are very poorly paid.Not as poorly paid as the Italian official who hardly move without a "tagliatente"-no,not the pasta.This "bribe" is been seen as a supplement for late comers.Don't we have that phenomena here as well?
Ryanair and others charge you severe when you try to buy a ticket at the counter for immediate use ,even when the plane has plenty seats not booked out.

I have been on the intercity express route from krakow to warsaw plenty of times, its gonna cost like 60 Euros for the round trip, and if you get the intercity its 3 hours, heaven forbid you dont coz you would be on it 6 hours in that case. I never had to offer a bribe in my life in Poland lol. Thats so Russian espionnage film

Back