Anyone ever been to Eindhoven?

eiregal

We're looking at going to Eindhoven for a long weekend, Ryanair are offering cheap flights and I believe the airport is not too far from the city. Has anyone ever been there that can offer advice? Is there much to do there? Or would we be better off flying in to Eindhoven and catching a train (about 1hr 20mins) to Amserdam for the weekend instead?

eiregal said:
We're looking at going to Eindhoven for a long weekend, Ryanair are offering cheap flights and I believe the airport is not too far from the city. Has anyone ever been there that can offer advice? Is there much to do there? Or would we be better off flying in to Eindhoven and catching a train (about 1hr 20mins) to Amserdam for the weekend instead?

Went there on business a few times. Pleasant enough, but pretty boring. The football stadium is good apparently...

Far more to see and do in Amsterdam I think/

I used to work in Eindhoven, I thought the southern part of Holland was much prettier than the northern part which is busy, dirty overcrowded and full of rats and mice because of the canals.
Eindhoven is a lovely town with some lovely restaurants, and there are plenty of places to visit nearby. You can rent bicycles for about 5 eur per day and follow one of the many cycling paths around the area (these exist all over the country).
[broken link removed]

You could also take a train ride (20 mins) to Den Bosch which is a very attractive town with some lovely shopping.
http://www.holland.com/uk/index.html?page=http://www.holland.com/uk/cities2/more/denbosch/

Personnaly I hate big cities so would favour Eindhoven but if you love the excitement, hustle and bustle of big cities, then Amsterdam would be better.

Hey,

I went their twice. Once for a weekend with the G/F and another for a drinking trip with the lads. Had a great time both times. True their is little to do in the city if your big into culture etc but its a nice little city to spend a weekend in with good restaurants. It also has a thriving nite life and overall the city is pretty cheap.

I would recommend it highly - but it depends what your looking for.

Thanks for the replies, that's great. We're just going to go for a long weekend and aren't looking for anything hectic so I think we'll go with Eindhoven. Any recommendations for hotels?

For a bit of luxury try the Dorint sofitel ( and if you can get a bargain). for a good value hotel we stayed in the Crown INN. very reasonable basic and bang in the centre of town. Try www.bookings.nl

I'd highly recommend at least a day trip down to Maastricht. 1 hour on the train from Eindhoven & a beautiful town with a very French (or Belgian feel). Great place for a night out too.

My late father passed through there in 1944 and later told me that the streets were very untidy.

Back