Anyone else having a problem downloading this XP Update

CCOVICH

For the past few months, the following update has been available for Windows XP:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB891718).

Everyday I start up, the ballon pops up and tells me it's ready to download, I click download, and then nothing happens. The update log shows that it has been unsuccessful each time.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem? I have been able to download all other available updates. The Windows Update site wasn't much help.

I haven't checked my machine but its up to date with all patches so I should have it.

Have you tried going directly to the windows update site ? From internet explorer to to Tools - Windows Update

If you don't have a legit copy of XP then afaik the updates won't work without getting it cracked.

paddyc said:
I haven't checked my machine but its up to date with all patches so I should have it.

Have you tried going directly to the windows update site ? From internet explorer to to Tools - Windows Update

If you don't have a legit copy of XP then afaik the updates won't work without getting it cracked.

Yes, tried that. No difference, except that I got the message telling me it was unsuccessful.

My copy of XP came with the machine (new) and is 'legit'. All other updates have downloaded successfully, it's just this particular one that hasn't.

had same problem with my machine with one update and went to check if it was the same as one you referred to but now i have problem that when I check for updates I just get a blank screen ,can the problems be connected in some way.

Back