Anyone been to the Dinosaur Exhibition...

MrsBell

currently in the Ambassador Theatre? We are heading to Dublin for few days over the Easter hols and was thinking of bringing our 2 boys age 5 & 3. Would love to hear what you thought about it?
Thanks

I'm very disappointed to hear that. I'm surprised it's run has been extended over Easter if that's the case. thanks for your response.

+1, terrible really as my daughter(10) thought it was great but then a ten year old doesnt care that you paid 40e for approx 20mins.. 2 adults 2 kids, rather spend the day in the zoo - it cant be beaten..

such a shame! The boys picked this and a trip to Sea World in Bray rather than the Zoo!! In fairness they have been a few times to dublin Zoo, as well as Belfast & Edinburgh Zoo. I heard under 4s (DS2 is 3)go free so I might just send DH with them for €20 admission, while I nip round the shops on Henry St!!)

Thanks for your reply.

What about the new Wax Works Museum? It's easy to get to and is supposed to be very good with great interactive stuff for the kids.

the dead zoo at collins barracks is worth a look and it is free. lots of other stuff to see while you are there to boot.
[broken link removed]

I saw it when it was up in Bettystown and was disappointed. Very small show. I assume its the same one.

I was going to bring my two boys (ages 3 and 5) to it but heard mixed reports. In the end my sister brought my eldest and he enjoyed it but she admitted there was not much in the exhibition.
I was actaully in Sea World in Bray a couple of years ago and not overly impressed by it.
I would second the Dead Zoo and other exhibitions at Collins barracks. You could kill an hour or so and it is free with plenty of parking. You should check out their website. I think they workshops on for children some days.

Great - will put collins barracks on the itinerary - DH will really enjoy it. The boys would be happy enough going around all day on the Luas and double decker buses!
Thanks for you reviews.

+1 for collins barracks.. great stuff there

If nothing else there vast amount of spaces to run around. Theres also a little shop where you can buy kinda army gifts like model aeroplanes. I only saw it in passing though. Theres also the main gift shop, and a cafe.

I didn't think much of Sea world in Bray either. Theres a distinct lack of decent places to bring young kids in Ireland.

We went a couple of weeks ago - we entered at 4.00 and at 4.10, we were all done. My son was so disappointed. We said to the girl on reception, we'll just do upstairs now and she said there's nothing up there only toilets! Had to bring him to the euro shop to make some sort of a day out of it. Pathetic.

We went to the Wax Museum on College Green last week and that was good - The Hall of Fame is a bit of a joke but the rest was interesting with a floor of interactive stuff for kids.

Steer clear of the Dinosaurs - you wouldn't reach Henry Street by the time they'd be done!!!

there is more to see and better variety of fish in the freezer section of Tesco's than there is at the Sea world in Bray.

Theres a distinct lack of decent places to bring young kids in Ireland.

Newbridge farm in Donabate is worth a visit. It is only €10 for a family of 4 and you could easily spend a couple of hours there.
There is a farm, a large play ground and a picnic area.
Definitely worth a visit on a nice day.

Theres a distinct lack of decent places to bring young kids in Ireland.
Disagree - Quite a few public institutions are doing free events/workshops for kids and families over the coming months. Check out Draiocht, Hugh Lane Gallery, National Museum, National Gallery, dlrevents.ie, Chester Beatty Library, Pearse Museum for some examples of these events.

Farmleigh is another place that have had free events/workshops for children although there was not as much in summer 2009 than in 2008.
They have some events planned for Easter.

[broken link removed]

They aren't permanent events. In other places, like UK and Spain theres almost always somewhere to go. Granted they are much bigger population wise.

We liked this place. Not in Dublin though. Kinda middle of nowhere tbh.

http://www.greenanmaze.com/

Farmleigh is another place that have had free events/workshops for children although there was not as much in summer 2009 than in 2008.
They have some events planned for Easter.

[broken link removed]

Always good for a run as is the tiny maze in the vistor center.

And of course there's always the Leprechaun Museum - you need to book online I think, it looks great.