Anyone been to Finland?

Caveat

We are thinking about it. There is something about the place that is attracting me and I can't really explain it.

Apart from it being a physically beautiful and less travelled country I have heard that Finns disassociate themselves a little with other Scandinavian countries and that they have a culture not entirely dissimilar to ours.

I'm expecting it to be relatively expensive. Can anyone advise on the country as a holiday destination?

I was in Helsinki for a week with work about 2 years ago. Seemed fairly quiet, and looked to be a big coffee drinking culture. Cafes were wedged in the evenings and pubs almost empty ... which was odd seeing as Finns have a bit of a boozy sterotype/reputation.

Got a ferry to Tallin and spend half a day there wandering about.

Was expensive enough from what I can remember!

I was in Helsinki last year for 2 nights and thought it was very lively, Henry you must have been in the wrong places! It was a Tue and Wed and the locals were partying like it was going out of fashion with a band playing cheesy rock - to say they were loving it would be an understatement!

We stayed in , which was cheap and cheerful. Its out on an island with last boat at 2.30AM I think.

The zoo is also on an island ([broken link removed]) and is well worth a visit, as is the design museum.

Its pricey enough in the city though. The tourist office by the docks is very helpful and sell day/two day travel passes which are the best value for getting about, especially to the various islands. The docks is also home to an excellent fish market, selling raw and cooked fish, though the seagulls are not shy about stealing your lunch, and i'm not exaggerating.

We arrived on Ferry from Tallinn which took 2-3 hours I think. This island off Tallinn is also worth a visit if you are in the area, flight from Tallinn taks about 20mins: http://www.saaremaa.ee/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=765&Itemid=257

Best of luck!

It is definitely an expensive destination- particularly if you like a drink- a glass of wine which is 2 measures costs about €12..it was the most expensive holiday we were ever on!( for what we got, I mean)
I have to say I didn't find Helsinki that interesting- perhaps in summer with all the cafes it would be nice-( we were there in winter) I don't think there are a huge number of places to visit- I imagine you'd see everything in a day or 2...there isn't exactly loads to do and see...
I don't think its a really beautiful city either-compared to other European capitals..
Sorry to be so negative but I wouldn't recommend it as a holiday destination- we thought it would be different but to be honest we were disappointed, underwhelmed and annoyed that we had spent so much on such a poor holiday...
Others perhaps can be more positive than me but just giving my twopence worth!

Thanks for input folks!

I wasn't necessarily thinking of Helsinki in particular as it happens but would obviously visit if it was convenient.

€12 for a drink sounds a bit rough though.

was in Helsinki and Tampere (avoid Ryanir flight fromn Gatwick 3 hrs ). Helsinki was nice to walk around, safe enough. Good shopping, bars full too although pricey. Tampere is beautiful, had a guided tour provided by the local tourist board and was very impressed.

Would agree with the Finn's feeling a bit remote - another hour ahead of GMT and they use the Euro. When I said please and thank you they gave me startled looks, I read somewhere they dont have exact translations for these words ?

I would go back again.

Went to Northern Finland for a week in January 2009. Really beautiful and I didn't find it any more expensive than Ireland. Ours was a package holiday from the uk to Yllas with lots of family winter activities.

been there twice 6 years ago, helsinki, nice spot... night life no more expensive than dublin.

taxi's are a complete rip off... more expensive than dublin!

you should maybe look into flights into tallinn, estonia... old town is beautiful, and is cheaper than helsinki... you can then get a ferry to helsinki, takes about 2 or 3 hours.

Turku's nice , didnt see much of helsinki , people are very friendly though , stayed with friends so hard to say about room prices. dinner was expensive though , about 20 % more than dublin. would recommend though : )

A few of us went to Helsinki and thought it was VERY expensive, a friend ordered a 'large' galss of wine.....€24, i kid you not.

We got a touist map and there were 5 points of Interest in the map. IMO a very quiet (boring) city.

We were only there for one night and got the boat to Tallin. Now, Tallin I would highly recommend, the old town is very picturesque. Some lovely restaurants and cafe's.

I would recommend doing the same, 1 night in Helsinki and 2 nights in Tallin.

http://www.tourism.tallinn.ee/

Boat to Tallin - Info here:
http://www.vikingline.fi/timetables/timetables/timetables/hel_tal_ros.asp

Thanks again all.

Aside from not being Finland (;)) is Tallinn not pretty much stag city?

That would put me off big time I have to say.

whats the best way to get to Helsinki ? I went via Copenhagen last time and after running the whole way just about made the onward connection (getting too old to comtemplate this now :))

A Lingus only fly direct 2 days a week (tue & sat ithink) which dont suit. I need to be in Helsinki monday 14th June.

Thanks

Back