Anyone been to Dubrovnik?

Slash

We're going there in two weeks. Flights and hotel are booked - wondering about interesting things to do and see.

I believe there is a war museum - definitely want to see that.

Anyone know any good pubs or restaurants?

How far is the airport from the town centre?

Anything else?

Thanks for any information.

I spent a few days in Dubrovnik a few years ago. Just before you enter that main gates of the old town there is a laneway on the left hand side. Follow it to the end and you´ll find a very very good fish restaurant, the only one there. Its set up against a cliff edge. Dont have the name but you would easily miss it if you hadnt the instructions above

Not much to do in Dubrovnik. You should see it all in a day or so. The war museum is very small but very moving to see all the photographs. Walk the walls of the town, fantastic. Visit Caftat on one of the boats from the harbour. There is usually a bus to meet incoming planes. The bus will take you to the central bus station which can be a long walk from some of the hotels but there are usually a few taxis at the station. The bus accepts Euro. I think we were charged €5 per head. You can also get a taxi from the airport. Where is your hotel?

The main thing to do in Dubrovnik is walk the walls which will take a morning.

You should try to find the bar Buza. it was recommended to us before we went - here are the directions we got: The locals called it the "hole in the wall" It is at the end of a cliff overlooking the ocean and is on the far side of the City Walls. Hard place to get to, here goes............................In the Old City you will find Gundilic Square that has "spanish steps" like in Rome. Go up them (there maybe an outdoor stage at the top), hang left and head for the back left corner. Follow the passageway and then take a right - you should see a sign that says something like "cool drinks" here. Thats where the bar is, I think the beer is about €1.50 each - Bill Gates was there before us, so it must be good. Mostly locals there, too hard for tourists to find - great music too !

Slash. The Lapad peninsula is a bit away from the Old Town. When we were there we walked out to the Lapad peninsula from our hotel the Lero and that took about a half hour. The Lero itself was about a 15 minute walk from the Old Town. The Lapad is a lovely but quiet area. There is a regular bus that goes there from the Old Town, can't remember the number. I also discovered that you can use your bus ticket for as many journeys as you want provided you take them within an hour of issue.
The central bus station is in the more modern part of Dubrovnik. You could walk to the Lapad from there it should take about 20 minutes. A nice walk but if you are arriving on an evening flight it will be quiet dark. I suggest you print of a street map from www.multimap.com.

Check out a restuarant called Dominos - Excellent.
A trip worth doing is a tour of the islands. Boat trip for the day, lunch etc inclusive. Well worth it !

Go to the keypost on Croatia. There is more than enough information on Dbv and its surrounds in it.

Me and the girlfriend went there a few years ago.

We did a day trip out to an island that had a sand beech, it also included lunch on the boat.

We also did a day trip to bosnia where we kayaked (sp?) down a river back into croatia, it was well worth it. That trip also included a lunch.

Thanks for all information.

Had a grand time in Dubrovnik.

Went to Dominos, Buza, war museum, and walked the walls - all very good.

Nice people, good beer, the Old Town is very nice.

Stayed in Dubrovnik Palace Hotel - very good.

Did a day trip into Monte Negro - very interesting.