Anyone any ideas on how to keep a 5 yr old amused on long haul flight?

witchymand

I am bringing my two children with me on holiday next month, and just wondered if you have any suggestions for a long haul flight with a five year old. My son is very active so am really worried about this, my daughter is only a baby so am not too bothered there.
All suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Tell him Tommy Cooper jokes - for example:

"It's strange, isn't it. You stand in the middle of a library and go aaaaagghhhh' and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an airplane, and everyone joins in."

I took regular long haul flights with my son from an early age. I used to wrap up 'surprises' - cheap toys, books etc that he would be given periodically through the flight - also found the Where's Wally books great - kept him amused for hours. Of course if there are personal entertainment screens you will not have a problem...hours and hours of cartoons!

Having been stuck on a flight with a hyper active child sitting in front of me , I can say there is only one solution; Calpol!

A friend of mine swears by the Argos catalogue - lots of brightly coloured pictures of toys and good for several hours of 'now see if you can find Daddy's drill'.

Having been stuck on a flight with a hyper active child sitting in front of me , I can say there is only one solution; Calpol!

Having been stuck on a flight with a hyperactive child sitting behind me - one who amused themselves by constantly kicking the back of my seat - I can say there is only one solution: pack the child in your luggage and have them put in the hold. ;)

Colouring books/stickers/books/playing cards/audio story books/gameboys................. and a lot of sleep!!!!

We have gone on longer flights to the U.S. (Seattle) twice! We always brought Nintendo Gameboys for our kids when they were 5 and 8 on the first trip and again when they were 7 and 10 on the second trip. Colouring books and pens also pass the time. Keep the kids awake until you board the plane too! Our third child was just 2 when we last went. I spent most of the return flight walking up and down the plane with him! I joked that I walked the Atlantic!

Can you bring all these things on the plane? ie: pens, pencils, dvd and gameboys. The Argos Catalogue could put you over your baggage allowance:rolleyes:

If you are flying with a good airline they may have gameboy games on the personal TV monitor on the seat back infront of you, kept me occupied for 13 hours to Singapore in the past!

Bring plenty of food and drink ( I know that these days you will have to buy it in Duty-free) but it is a must.
There is nothing worse than a 5 year old complaining of hunger and being told that food is in one hour.

Just to echo all the above sentiments - even the Calpol! : Travelled almost yearly by myself with , first kid at aged 6 months, and then the 2 kids starting aged 4 and 1 - now 10 and 7 - on journeys that took over 24 hours start to finish. Trains, planes and automobiles. I put pencils , pens, coloring stuff and new cheap lego stuff into zip lock bags, so everything was individually packed and easy to find in either their or my handluggage. Same for small snacks etc. I swear by coloring books , maze books, join the dots etc., and kids cards, like Old Maid, that they have in the Educational toy shop. Play at home a bit if he/she isn't used to it. And I'd second the Argos catalogue idea. My kids loved it. If your kid is at the gameboy stage ( at 5 ? not sure ) then that's your most treasured possession and should be cradled lovingly and not let out of sight while you sip your G&T in the airport lounge ! If the plane has the individual screen then , again, you'll be freed from being the entertainment manager for the flight. And do the walking the aisle thing for a while. I always found the passangers to be friendly enough to passing toddlers.
Good luck.

Tell him Tommy Cooper jokes - for example:

"It's strange, isn't it. You stand in the middle of a library and go aaaaagghhhh' and everyone just stares at you. But you do the same thing on an airplane, and everyone joins in."
LMAO!:D

A DVD player with some of his favourite dvd's helps a lot!
I was thinkiong the same. Argos does a 7 inch portable DVD for about €130. Might seem a lot to spend, but it is a good investment for car journeys and the like too. Mind you have the battery charged though, and a spare battery might be a good idea for such a long journey!

Depends on who you're flying with.
I travelled to Australia with Malaysian Airlines some years ago. They had special amusement packs for kids with little colouring books etc.
Also the personal TV/DVD/Nintendo in the seat in front.
You could check with the airline as to what's available.

Back