anybody have a fish tank?

blinkbelle

please move if in wrong section.

Ok so im getting a fish tank. Im just wondering whats the best way to set up the tank? ie put the coral and ornaments in first then fill with water? or put in the water 1st and then the stuff? im slighty confused and do you have to keep the light on all the time in the tank?

Is there anything else i need to know? i am getting 6 tropical fish for it (just in case anyone interested) or if anyone has one and a pic id love ta see it

If it's a tropical marine aquarium then all the fish will quickly die if you don't really research what you're doing.

Assuming its tropical freshwater. Put the decorations in first. Make sure none of them will alter the PH of the water. Use declorinators for the water. Put in a filtration system and regularly change a third of the water with declorinated water.
Buy some aquatic plants. Get a light that simulates the sun's spectrum. The light should not be left on all the time!
Connect it to a timer. Choose hardy fish species that will not fight with each other.

Find someone that knows more and follow their advice/get them to help. There are numerous excellent books that
give further advice.

The place you're buying the tank & fish should be able to answer all of this, and more.

FWIW we have 2 tanks at home but I'm not involved; herself and the kids do all the work.

Regular maintenance will be needed (e.g. refreshing the water) so you will need some dedicated buckets/tubes to accomplish this. Also, we have one fish (pleco ?) that feeds on the algae so he ensures the green slime is kept to a minimum.

i got the tank of the net at a bargain. i was in the pet shop to day gettin the plants and stuff.

The lady was very very busy and hadnt much time to talk to me. Shop was ful of people.

But I have the tank going now and have took all the chlorine out of the water and have it filtering through and ive the plants etc in.

Regular maintenance will be needed (e.g. refreshing the water) so you will need some dedicated buckets/tubes to accomplish this. Also, we have one fish (pleco ?) that feeds on the algae so he ensures the green slime is kept to a minimum.

What is algae tarfhead?

Thanks for that general sod, i cant remember the types of fish im getting but I told the woman im putting them all in the tank so i guess they wont be fighting each other. (god i hope not)

I also have two goldfish which i have had for nearly 3 years living in a bowl. im hoping to put them in aswell :D

Re ornaments, if you are getting any coral, stone, wood etc soak them for 24 hours in the bath prior to putting them into the water - gets rid of any dust particles/dirt etc which might contaminate fish. you have to have the water in the tank for about 8 hours before putting fish in to regulate the temperature and when you put fish in just float the bag on the top of the water to allow the water inside the bag to reach the same temp as the tank water. Buy yourself a couple of those sucker fish they will clean the glass on the inside of the tank as light causes algae to grow. if you are changing filters don't change them all at one time - fish need a certain amount of bacteria in the tank.

The algae is microscopic plant life. The Plecostomus (sucker) fish is an excellent choice (there are numerous varieties, be aware some of them can grow big) and will not fight with other fish.

Here's a guide to compatibility.

[broken link removed]

There's mountains more info at the end of google searches.

It sounds like you're getting off to a good start. Excepting the goldfish thing ;)

thanks for all the advise, some great websites there. Especially the compatability one great stuff.

Well i have all the fish in now and they are doing ok. Some of them are really big ulgy ones but in a nice way. My dearest boyfriend picked them. haha! trust him to pick evil looking ones.

They are getting on ok and no fighting yet. one more thing should i have the water filled up to the line in the tank? i can kinda hear a trickle, when the water coming back out of the filter is this normal or should i fill it up to the level? Also where is the best place to locate the tank? I know should of thought of this before loading it but will have to move it.

At the moment i have it in the hallway. Where do most people put theres? kitchen? sitting room?

Once again thanks and happy xmas to all. :cool:

Back