Anybody going to the snow soon?

elefantfresh

I'm off to Canada boarding in feb and the waiting is killing me!
Snow accross Europe and North America is stunning already this year compared to last. Looks like we're set up for a good year at last. Last year was such a downer.
Anybody else heading off soon? Where you going?

Hi there, We are off to Clavier this year in Italy. I cant wait as a big gang are going (family and friends) and good skiers can ski in near by france and weaker skiers will only have 2 hours ski school....

If you had your own gear you could probably get a run down the service road at Kippure mountain at the moment.

I shall hold out for Chamonix in March though.

Just back from Eastern US where conditions were fantastic, now I'm counting down the days (48) to the next ski trip in Mayrhofen with a big group!

First day back at work so it can't come soon enough!

Only problem with being a fan of snow holidays is that it's a long time from March/Apr - December.....

Off to Switzerland on Monday. Flights from Birmingham with BMIbaby to Geneva £70 return for the two of us. Train to Sion - don't know how much. Picked up by brother-in-law for a freebie at his chalet up in the mountains.
Hard old life!

My boss is just back.......not in work today cos he dislocated his shoulder. Have fun in the snow but be careful.

Isnt that the reason the adrenlin flows? The fact that you "slide" down a mountain at stupid speeds and live to tell the tale? I know i've done some stupid things on the slopes.
Actually read an article the other day which said that your personal insurance could be null and void on the mountain if you fail a breath test!!!

elephantfresh - I wouldn't be surprised if your insurance failed to pay out if you failed a breath test. Why would they bother covering people for voluntarily losing control and injuring themselves ?

z

We're just back from a week in Zell am See and we're already planning another long weekend in March. Ryanair return to Salzburg come to about €130 per person at the moment, so it looks good value.

z

hi zag, we're heading there end Feb. how was the snow? was it in the village or just on slopes?

S

scatriona - there was a full day of snow on the 1st I think so there was plenty of snow in the village, but by the end of the week it was pretty much gone from there. On the slopes there was loads of snow, but again by the end of the week there were some bare patches showing up. Overall, there was no problem with the slopes and they were all open.

We found Zell am See to be a little lacking in character. This was the only resort we have been to where bars/restos up the mountains didn't have big thumping sound systems pumping out euro-pop . . . I know you don't want it all the time, but sometimes you just need that kind of atmosphere.

z

scatriona - I think my recent favourite would be St Johann in Tirol. Mayrhofen is good too, but the area around the middle station is a little limited and you pretty much have to join the scrum up the next lift before you can ski anywhere. It can make for a long wait before hitting the slopes in the morning.

In the long run, I think Bormio would be my favourite but we haven't been there in about 10 years so I have no idea if it is still the same. I liked the range of slopes, the length of the drops and also the thermal baths in the evening.

What are your favourites ?

z

We were in Mayrhofen for Christmas and are planning another week trip to Italy (Arraba/Selva) and maybe a weekend before the end of the season too. We had hoped to go to Wengen in Switzerland but missed the boat.

We loved St Johann in Tirol too but the ski area is fairly restrictive without resorting to bussing it to other areas. Mayrhofen/Zillertal is a fantastic ski area but we thought the village was a bit 'resorty' for us and the queueing thing was a pain. And where did all the hugely wealthy Russians come from (we know they were rich because we saw their ski-outfits in the shops priced at about €2500!).

Still hoping to get my chalet someday too :)
Rebecca

Hi

I have only been to Zell in Europe so have nothing to compare it to! always looking for new ideas though! would like to try Norway maybe.... for a change!

S

[broken link removed] have pretty much every resort in the world covered with reader feedback etc - well worth the look if you're needing help.

Back