Any way for a single person to save money on hotels, hostels ,etc.?

colc1

I have the problem that affects single people who want to travel but whose friends are not available for one reason or another e.g. going on couples holidays, family holidays, lack of sufficient annual leave, etc. Does anyone have any ideas for saving money on acc. in Europe particularly. Do single supplements exist anymore or is everything done 'per room'? I assume single supplement would still be cheaper than paying by the room, right?

thanks in advance,

C

In my experience & I travel alone quite a bit, you definitely pay extra by going solo.

I love to go on tours as that way you're with a group but yet alone if you want to be. You can opt on those to share rooms if you like....it never appealed to me though to share a room with a complete stranger. Still some people have found it works well.

You still can look for a single in a hotel but it's definitely more than half the price of a double.

Perplexed said:
In my experience & I travel alone quite a bit, you definitely pay extra by going solo.

I love to go on tours as that way you're with a group but yet alone if you want to be. You can opt on those to share rooms if you like....it never appealed to me though to share a room with a complete stranger. Still some people have found it works well.

You still can look for a single in a hotel but it's definitely more than half the price of a double.

Thanks for your help perplexed I will ask for a single room in future if its possible to get one, luckily one of the lads travels with me so we can share thanks again

C

If you travel off-season you can often bargain the price down as the alternative for the hotelier may be to let it go empty. This won't work in July or August, and watch out for festivals or other events that might push up room occupancy rates.
You can also ask if there is a discount for a longer stay. Hoteliers may be happy to reduce the per night rate if they can get a guaranteed 3 or 4 nights.
Hostels charge the same per person no matter how many are travelling together, but of course that means you have to share a room with a lot of strangers. It's a great way to meet people, though, esp other solo travellers.

Newstalk106 carried a piece on travelling alone recently. PM me your email and I'll send it on to you or alternatively join their travel club and ask them to send it to you. It was quite interesting and they had some useful ideas.

Back