Any value in going to NI for materials?

Hi Millertime, I didn't see much difference over doors / floors / furniture / electrical. Seemed it would be difficult to get it back home also.

i bought a kitchen in MFI for 800euro.MFI is cheaper than the rip off republic in many areas

We are getting all our electrical appliances in Armagh- will probably save 400 euro. They will deliver to our house for free.
sorry-dont know about timber!

Tiles - Saved 600 (before petrol costs) with a bill of 1200 instead of 1800 for the exact same tile.

@Smokeygirl: I would be very interested to hear where you are purchasing your electrical goods in Armagh??

We bought all our electrical equipment in the north. Hired a van and drove it down ourselves. Saved 1400 on a range- €3000 in south and £1100 (€1600) up north- as well as the savings on the fridge and dishwasher.

Have been checking out DVD players recently. Philips player is £40(€60) in Argos in Newry and €80 euro down here. The savings are there to be got on a lot of items but you do need to find them.

We priced oak doors at €150 in Sligo, then found better quality doors in Enniskillen for £62. On our doors alone that gave us a saving of over €500. Our roof slates also came from the North and we figured we saved almost €2000 on them. Wooden floors seemed to be more or less the same. Plumbing supplies also worked out considerably cheaper in the North, especially radiators.

Hi Berlin,

Can you give the details of where in Eniskillen as that sounds like great value.

Thanks,
MAJJ

We bought all the slates and wood etc. in F.R. Cathcart, Tel: 048 6632 3551. Plumbing materials came from Spendlove C. Jebb, Tel: 048 6632 3888. Worth mentioning also that the staff in both were extremely helpful.

Thanks Berlin, sounds like great value in Enniskillen, will check it out, anyone know of anywhere you can get the door hung on the frame & prefinished. There is a place called Eurodoorsandfloors in Bangor, their phone doesn't seem to be working though. see their website www.eurodoorsandfloors.co.uk

Just got a quote from Doorkits.ie for 16 doors for a house ( 6 white oak veneer & 10 red deal) an average of €250 per door incl frame & architrave.
Should make the savings on installation.