Any solar panel users out there?

Redlady

Hi,

I am thinking about putting solar panels on our new build...which will be a south facing timber high insulated house (2500 sq ft). I have seen threads on this board and on previous boards about suggestions on solar but I'd like to hear from somebody with 'real life' experience with them. I got a reasonable quote for 12m sq solar panel along with a combi tank that could be used with another backup conventional system. Now should I just go for a smaller 6m sq panel for DHW or if you want solar panels to add to your space heating with any real impact, would you need at least 20-30 m sq...in which case it would probably cost too much anyways.

Any thoughts

Regards

would also be interested, thinking of going for panels for hot water only for existing house, appreciate any user feedback

Afraid I can't provide any information on the solar panels themselves, but I know that a grant scheme for domestic installations was launched recently. Check out [broken link removed] before you do anything!

There's been a lot of stuff in the media about it - I suppose its good PR for the Govt (for a change :p ) I haven't looked very closely at the info but I think you can get a grant of up to 40/50% of the cost, depending on the type of technology you opt for.

aonfocaleile said:
...but I think you can get a grant of up to 40/50% of the cost, depending on the type of technology you opt for.

Afraid not, the grant available is €300 per m2 up to a limit of €3600, so this will probably only cover up to a max of 30% of total installation costs. The system and installer must be registered under the scheme with the SEI, so expect that to be factored into the price.

I stand corrected Leo (I should really read the information if I'm going to keep harping on about it ;) ) Thanks for the clarification though.

No worries, was a little disappointed by the level myself. I also forgot to mention that the SolarTwin system (which seems to be one of the cheapest on the market) isn't currently registered with the SEI.

Back