Any recommendations for a cabinet maker to do some bespoke carpentry work?

ivorystraws

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help provide some helpful recommendations for a great cabinet maker who can service the north county Dublin area?

We're looking to get some bespoke carpentry work done in our house, such as Alcove units either side of the fireplace, radiator covers, bathroom cabinets but our main priority would be to get 2 cabinets made for our utility room to get some extra storage.

The approximate dimensions for the utility room cabinets would be 130 cm (width across) x 70 cm (deep - wall to front of white goods) x 80 com (height but this can vary).

It would be an additional bonus if anyone can provide an approximate cost for what it would take to make and fit these two cabinets in the utility room?

Ideally, it would be great to be able to get this work done within the next month due to the fact that we're due a baby in 6 weeks time.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions, recommendations and experiences.

We got the alcove cabinets and shelving done either side of our fireplace a few weeks ago.

I don't have a recommendation as I would not use him again.

Some advice though- We found it difficult to even get someone in to do the work. Bespoke carpentry is costly and time consuming. Our cabinets were done off site and I had to send them away 3 times due to faults. End product is nice, nothing overwhelming to be honest and cost €1,000.

For the utility room and rad covers I would suggest you look at buying and assembling something yourself.

I know everyone wants to get as much sorted in advance of the arrival of kids but don't put yourself under too much pressure to get stuff done. Stuff that may seem important now will be irrelevant in a few weeks.

We got the alcove cabinets and shelving done either side of our fireplace a few weeks ago.

I don't have a recommendation as I would not use him again.

Some advice though- We found it difficult to even get someone in to do the work. Bespoke carpentry is costly and time consuming. Our cabinets were done off site and I had to send them away 3 times due to faults. End product is nice, nothing overwhelming to be honest and cost €1,000.

For the utility room and rad covers I would suggest you look at buying and assembling something yourself.

I know everyone wants to get as much sorted in advance of the arrival of kids but don't put yourself under too much pressure to get stuff done. Stuff that may seem important now will be irrelevant in a few weeks.

Thanks for your response Easel. I have contacted some companies directly but they're slow at responding and I'd much prefer a recommendation so thanks for sharing your experience.

It's really the utility room cabinets that would be the priority, everything else can wait. From the businesses I've contacted, there is a lead time of at least 6 to 8 weeks upon receipt of deposit.

I have considered the DIY route and I've also looked at buying pre-made cabinets and hanging them myself. I'd prefer to maximise the storage space available.

Of course you're right that all this may not seem too important in a few weeks time.

Try Interwood in drumcondra. Not cheap, usually a fairly lengthy wait, but excellent quality workmanship. They have a workshop in Cian Park so you can usually have a peak at whatever they're working on if you call in.
Best to ring ahead first though, in case they are out on a job.
Ask for Stephen or Brian.

I would highly recommend Laco from www.customfurniture.ie who did a great job on a large living room unit for us. We had lots of requirement, fiddly design, changes made at the last minute and the guys were great. Responded quickly, even came back to make a small change with no hassle. We got half a dozen quotes and Laco was very competitive. Also a very nice guy to deal with.

Never understood why people want rad covers. Surely they make the rads less efficient?

I don't have them but am considering getting them. I will need to get the plumbing redone in the whole house in the next 5 years. The rads I have work well but are very dated looking. My house gets very warm quickly. The aesthetics of them appeals to me...there are also higher end ones that apparently don't lose much heat at all.

Surely they make the rads less efficient?

They certainly make them a lot less responsive, in that they extend the time it will take to heat the room. But to some the aesthetics are more important, let's face it, unless you're going really high-end, radiators are a little on the ugly side.

You could try https://bespace.ie/ formerly bedroom elegance. I got a custom alcove done a couple of years ago & a variety of wardrobes a decade before that. Prices are reasonable & while they mainly promote kitchens & wardrobes, they do any sort of fitted furniture I think.

Never understood why people want rad covers. Surely they make the rads less efficient?

This was certainly the case with old style radiators, which emit heat via radiation mostly.

Modern 'radiators' (the ones which have fins on top and aren't as hot to touch) mostly emit heat via convection. Depending on the design of the radiator covers, they may not impact efficiency as much as they used to.

I had a guy build walk-in-wardrobes for me last year. When completed they were not great, and lots of problems with openings, door warping etc.

I only discovered afterwards that despite his company being called carpentry, he wasn’t a qualified carpenter. Big mistake on my behalf.

I need other work done in the house and will be very fussy about who I choose next time. He used mostly MDF and the quality is crap.

I second bespace.ie, we've had bookcases, hall storage cupboard (installed last week), office tables, shelving and cupboards, wardrobes, lockers, and custom attic clothes storage built by them. Impressed by the quality, happy with the price - the process does take a while, from design to installation and they were pretty busy over the summer. A nice touch is they they leave you with a small bottle of the furniture paint which you can use for touchups if any required.

Back