AIB Any progress on the AIB prevailing rate issue with the Ombudsman?

zxcvbnm

Thanksk Brendan.
By the way, has there been any new information over the last few months to give reasons of optimism of the likelihood of the AIB prevailing rate argument being accepted by the ombudsman? Does anyone here have a case submitted to the ombudsman?

We referred our case to the Ombudsman for determination on the 9th September and have heard nothing since. We had previously gone through mediation and AIB upped their offer to 1k for sending out incorrect documentation during our FOI request but on the condition that would also settle our tracker claim. Told them we weren't interested.

To be honest I was surprised they offered anything, despite their protests it was an 'accident'.

I think it points to a conscious effort to withhold pertinent information. They also sent our paperwork to a branch we had never used and and wouldn't let me collect it when I went to the branch, even though I had ID. When you put that all together it doesn't look like they were trying to help their customer does it!

Hi zx

There has been no indication at all from the Ombudsman as to his views on the prevailing rate issue.

I am aware of a few complaints which have been submitted. The Ombudsman put a series of questions to AIB which showed that he understood the arguments being made. AIB gave the usual answers.

So it's much better than the Appeals Panel. They have tried to understand the problem and have not just accepted AIB's narrative without question.

The bad news is that we could be six months away from a decision. It might be sooner but the Ombudsman seems inundated and doesn't seem to be prioritising systemic complaints.

Brendan

We referred our case to the Ombudsman for determination on the 9th September and have heard nothing since. We had previously gone through mediation and AIB upped their offer to 1k for sending out incorrect documentation during our FOI request

Are you saying that you submitted the complaint earlier this year and during the mediation with the Ombudsman, they offered you €1k to settle?

When the mediation concluded , the Ombudsman sent the complaint for investigation and adjudication?

Or was the €1k offered during the Independent Appeals Panel process?

Brendan

Hi Brendan, we were offered nothing during the Independent Appeals Panel process. The mediation through the ombudsman was a little more hopeful with 500 offered initially, which we rejected and then 1,000 offered - again rejected and referred to adjudication.

To be clear this offer was not in relation to the tracker issue but a 'good will' gesture for witholding information during the FOI process when we requested all our paperwork and we got back a pack missing the 3.2 clause....

Thanks Milkof

As a matter of interest, what date did you lodge your complaint with the Ombudsman?
When did the mediation start?

I would strongly recommend that you focus on the main issue of the complaint and probably drop the FoI part. The FoI is neither here nor there. The key issue is to get the tracker back at the then prevailing rate.

Brendan

Brendan - we started mediation in April, the FOI is only an aside to our complaint but AIB seem to be focused on that aspect. Being denied the option of a tracker is our main priority.

Hi Milkof

You started mediation in April and it went on for 6 months to result in nothing?

When did you submit your complaint to the Ombudsman?

Brendan

The mediation started at the end of May, in July they offered 500 for the FOI aspect, stood firm on tracker stance, at the very beginning of September they upped their offer to 1000 still no budge on tracker issue. We then referred for adjudication but they said that could take up to 9 months so not expecting to hear anything this side of Christmas anyway.

I am trying to get a feeling for how long the Ombudsman cases are taking from submission to decision.

I was shocked recently to see two cases of mediation starting where the complaint was made 6 months ago.

When did you submit your claim? Was it long before the mediation started?

Brendan

I started the claim not long after the appeal panel rejection, early April I think.

Thanks.

That is interesting that they started mediation immediately. I have seen another case where the complaint was submitted in February and the mediation started only in September.

Brendan

Brendan
I’ve decided to lodge a complaint. I rang the Ombudsman’s office yesterday. They told me it may be up to 6 months before someone is assigned to my case!

Back