Any point putting funeral arrangements in a will?.dead a month before solicitor knows

legal33

Is there any point putting funeral arrangements in a will because you could be dead a month before the solicitor is informed?

Re: funeral arrangements in will

Well perhaps you can discuss your wishes with your nearest and dearest. I know I have, although I should but don't have a will.

nearest and dearest are very reluctant to carry out wishes as it involves cremation.

Put the funeral wishes in will, appoint someone who you can trust to follow your wishes as executor/rix and give them copy of that section if nothing else so they know what is to happen if you die.

From a legal point of view can the next of kin override that wish even it it is in a will?

very important.

You migth/might not want to be buried in a certain plot in a cemetery. If a family plot, you might/might not want to be laid next to/on top of a certain relative.

I have come across a case where a person wanted to be buried in grave A, but relation handling funeral arrangements had her buried in grave B which was not what deceased would have wanted.

It may not always be possible to accede to burial wishes. Plots and graves are "rotated" and there is a minimum time that must elapse between burials in a particular grave / plot.

From a legal point of view can the next of kin override that wish even it it is in a will?
As far as I'm aware, yes, but it's exceedingly poor form not to carry it out if it is possible to do.

Often it is a timing problem. X dies suddenly on a Thursday - removal on Friday and burial on Sat. Nobody thinks of going in to the solicitors office on the Friday to find out what's in the will (even if they think of it they'll feel its bad form). On Tuesday the executor gets a copy of the will. Guess what? Auntie wanted to be cremated!

Its all very well to say tell someone and to have a copy of the will at home - I don't know how many times relatives have been absolutely certain they have a copy of the last will only to find the deceased had snuck in to town or even to another solicitor and made a subsequent will. We all get a bit quare towards the end!

Re: Any point putting funeral arrangements in a will?.dead a month before solicitor k

Not that you'd be aware of where you ended up being buried. Long as you pass peaceful in the 'thought' that your wishes would be followed, it won't change a thing from your point of view.

I've lovely plans to be cremated, after the useful bits are taken for science, donation etc. ashes placed in a field and an oak tree planted as my marker. I could be left in a skip.

Re: Any point putting funeral arrangements in a will?.dead a month before solicitor k

I've lovely plans to be cremated, after the useful bits are taken for science, donation etc. ashes placed in a field and an oak tree planted as my marker. I could be left in a skip.

You must have a lovely family.

Bond- an interesting question. I agree with j26, there have been quite a few cases where next of kin have actually gotten exhumation orders after a burial in order to re-bury their loved one where THEY want them to be.

there have been quite a few cases where next of kin have actually gotten exhumation orders after a burial in order to re-bury their loved one where THEY want them to be.

So I suppose that could work the other way too. The deceased wishes to be cremated but the next of kin of buried him whole. Thereafter the executor of the will in order to carry out the deceased wishes applies to have the body exhumed so that it can be cremated.

Or is it only the next of kin who can apply for exhumation, as the executors would 'only' be trusted friends?

that's exactly it. It's the fact that I will pass (and live now) peacefully with a clear conscience that i did the proper thing for myself and those i loved that have gone before me.

Even if there is an afterlife I'm sure I won't be that bothered then if my wishes are not carried out. No point crying over spilt milk and all that. It's just living now with the thought of it that I want to put to rest

solicitor when drafting will should advise that executor be advised of any unusual requests, or get testators permission to inform executor.

solicitor when drafting will should advise that executor be advised of any unusual requests, or get testators permission to inform executor.

Clients when thinking about their own mortality should make sure that they tell whoever is gonna bury them what they want!

The number of people who are so consumed by the (mostly misguided) desire for privacy that do not tell anyone they have made a will, is staggering. Why not just make sure that your burial wishes will not be left to chance?

mf