Any innovative architects around Dublin?

onekeano

Looking to put a 2 storey extension on my house. Waited about 4 weeks for "the architect" to call out and when he did we told him the basic stuff eg. 2 storey extention / extra bedroom / maybe do something with the attic etc. We then asked him what solutions he thought we could achieve.

He proceeded to tell us all the things that we couldn't do and it was only when Mrs Keano started to put ideas we had to him that he started saying "well yes, I suppose you could do that" and "yep, thats an idea".

Overall didn't really inspire confidence in terms of innovation. Said he would have to measure the whole house, get site maps etc and then do a plan but he's going away on holidays so it won't happen for 4-6 weeks anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has managed to find a Dublin architect who has some imagination / creativity who might be able to brng their own ideas to the table - if so I'd appreciate a name / contact number.

Thanks
Roy

You could call the RIAI and ask them to recommend someone. Was your architect an RIAI member? In Ireland, anyone can call themselves an architect, regardless of their qualifications. I don't know if you have already read through these 20 questions:
[broken link removed]
I certainly would expect a fully-qualified architect to come up with some innovative ideas.

Thanks Hotlips,

He's an RIAI member alright and I have used him before but for different type of work ie. new house on greenfield site and basically giving him the outline plan from another I had seen.

I was very disappointed we his lack of imagination - maybe he just doesn't wanted to do the job because it's different but.....

I know I could ring the RIAI and get a recommendation but I was hoping that soemone on AAM would recommend one they had actually used.

Thanks
Roy

Well, I would go with my gut instinct and not use him. There are plenty of others out there and certainly another should be prepared to meet you just to see if you have common philosophies. I would have thought most would only be delighted to be allowed to use their imagination so I can see why you would be disappointed. We have started using someone at the moment but we're just at the very early stages so I can't say yet whether or not I'd recommend him. So far so good.

Thanks for that Hotlips and best of luck with your job.

Anyone else recommend an innovative architect?

Roy

Onekeano

I had the same problem last year in that while the architect was alright for drawing plans and organising the process for getting the permission, his creativity was extremely limited. Like any profession I suppose, there are good and mediocre.

Like you, we threw out ideas that were either rejected onthe basis that they weren't "technically possible" or we got the standard "yeah, that's possible, I suppose." In the end, we effectively designed the house ourselves and got him to merely draw it up.

Shortly after, i read an article which suggested that interior designers should be brought in WHILE a house is being designed rather than after it's built. It made sense in that they could tease out your requirements and make design suggestions that you could bring to the architect and get him to draw.

Haven't a clue how much it might cost but it could be a way to go.

(a) Ask anyone you know who has had work done.
(b) Look at other peoples extensions and maybe do a planning search to see who submitted the aplns - or just knock on the door.

There is a very small house on the canal between Leeson Street and Ranelagh with a terrific huge glass extension and I always thought I'd like something like that.

mf

Roy
The Property supplement with the Irish Times often features architect practices that have done some noteworthy projects. AFAIK a subset of the most recent supplement is available free at www.ireland.com.

Hi,

We had the same difficulties trying to hire an architect. First of all I rang countless local and Town based practices to be told that they only did commercial developments or multiple units- not interested in extensions thanks anyway.
I then found a guy who would do the job, but he was absolutely devoid of any imagination or creativity.
I left him and went on to another who was just as bad, and ended up with him basically drawing my ideas.
After all the time it took to get to this stage I was almost going to apply for permission with his plans, but my gut feeling told me that I was not getting the best solution for my house and lifestyle.

Architect number 3!
Got his name from the RIAI yearbook 2004 where one of his designs was featured. Was delighted to find that he would be interested in the job. He told me he was booked for 3 months but we had a day long meeting at our house after the 3 month wait, and planning was applied for, after a further 4 weeks.
I'm rambling a bit but my point is WAIT for the right design, it won't cost any more to draw than a bad design, and you will get the house of your dreams. If you are not inspired by your architect- drop him! It was the best decision that we made.

I'm aware of a consulting engineering practice in North County Dublin that will take a whole project from start to finish with the type of glazing feature you like. If you have your heart set on an architect, then by all means keep on trying but AFAIK you can sometimes make a saving by employing a good engineer with an excellent draftsperson.
Let me know if you would like their details.

I knew what I wanted but needed an architect to draw up the plans correctly. I was pleased with him - quick, efficient and not too expensive. Andrej Bednarski - 087 132 0994.

I've yet to come across an architect that is anyway creative.

Some seem to be good at getting permission, but their drawings suck.

As said before, if you've no problem with planning, I'd wait for the right guy!

Folks - thanks a million for the advise. Got a lot more to go on now and will be contacting a number of those suggested to check availability over the coming days.

Roy

Onekeano, I am an Architect.
If you want an interesting design- good, such Clients tend to be a rarity.

Where is your site? What is your budget? - allow €2000 -€2500 per m2 depending on spec/site constraints - eg. will your rear garden allow access for plant? (Its worth noting though that apart from the finishes you specify, there is no reason why a good design should cost anymore than a poor one of similar size once the fundamental moves are correct.)

When do you intend commencing construction? - from today allow a 2 month design process, 3 month (minimum) planning process. This brings you to December, which means realistically you are probably looking at late Jan/early Feb 2007 before works can commence.

Finally, (and I would say this of course ;-) ) even a mediocre Architect will produce a more interesting design than an Engineer or "draftperson" (read tech drawing teacher) - we spend 5 years in University studying design for a reason. It is worth investing as much time as possible at the design stage of your project- construction is a messy,lenghty,expensive process -you want to get it right.
Z

Hi Zack,

I'm based in Glasnevin, I was thinking of early next year for commencement of building work. Fully agree with you that it is worth investing as much time as possible at the design stage. I did actually get some very good feedback to my initial question which provoked me to clarify in my own mind what it was that I wanted and I sent a note off to a couple of people to make an initialy enquiry regarding availability and costing.

I'll drop you a pm on this hopefully this evening Zack.

Thanks
Roy