Any info on Kitchen Extension in Dublin?

armelodie

Hi ,
I was thinking of doing a Kitchen extension (Small enough 10ftX12ft), and would be interested to know of anyones recent experiences as I'd be a complete newbie (and don't have any contacts in the trade). Main questions are....

1. What are the pros/cons of employing direct labour (bricklayer/roofer/plumber/electrician etc) V's hiring 1 builder to do the lot.

2. Any issues with building over a sewerpipe in the back garden. Can access point and pipes be moved easily enough? (ours would be the first in the row of 4 in back garden).

3. Is it necessary to get an architect for such a small (straightforward!) build.

4. Has anyone bothered with a solicitor to draw up a contract. Or is there somewhere you can download a template contract. (tried google search and searching here)

5. Had a look at irishhomeextensions.com and they seem to offer the complete package. also timberlines.ie look good.if anyone has used these could they pm me.

6. I know from other threads that getting a ballpark figure for the cost of this extension varies (€200 sq ft!!) but I suppose I'll ask again just in case anyone has had similar size extension done. (not including kitchen units and floors)

Thanks a Million

Last edited:
i'm in the process of finalising plans for a single story extension in dublin and have decided that i'm going to take advantage of the slump in the construction market and get a contractor to put up the extension but i'm going to go direct labour for the tiling, laying floors and fitting kitchens and do the painting myself.
if you're happy with the size/shape of the extension then i dont think there's a huge need for an architect, any kitchen company will be able to design your kitchen on 3d so that would be a good reference for a builder regarding sockets plumbing etc.

i presume you'll seek a number of quotes and one question i'd definately ask the builders is if they can get trade discounts with kitchen companies, my brother's builder got a 30% discount with kitchen world which was a great saving.

also despite being based in dublin i've 3 recommended builders lined up to give me quotes from meath and 1 from dundalk as i reckon they'll do the job far cheaper than their dublin counterparts.
from talking to an architect last week he was saying a lot of construction companies are working just for cashflow at the moment and are really squeezing their margins.

1. What are the pros/cons of employing direct labour (bricklayer/roofer/plumber/electrician etc) V's hiring 1 builder to do the lot.

If you have no experience you would be better going with a builder than trying to control the different trades on your own even on a small job like this.

2. Any issues with building over a sewerpipe in the back garden. Can access point and pipes be moved easily enough? (ours would be the first in the row of 4 in back garden).

There are issues it depends on the size of the sewer and the locations of manholes and AJs, your builder would be able to advise you on this.

3. Is it necessary to get an architect for such a small (straightforward!) build

So long as you have a clear idea in your head starting out what you want and are able to communicate this effectively to your builder

4. Has anyone bothered with a solicitor to draw up a contract. Or is there somewhere you can download a template contract. (tried google search and searching here)

If you emply in writing that the works are to be carried out under the terms and conditions of a particular contract it is (almost) as good in the eyes of the law as having the contract signed

5. Had a look at irishhomeextensions.com and they seem to offer the complete package. also timberlines.ie look good.if anyone has used these could they pm me.

Any of these companies have to pay to maintain a website etc. I'd talk to neighbours and friends who have had work done and can recommend someone. An advantage of getting and Architect is that they would know builders suitable for the work you propose to do

6. I know from other threads that getting a ballpark figure for the cost of this extension varies (€200 sq ft!!) but I suppose I'll ask again just in case anyone has had similar size extension done. (not including kitchen units and floors)

€200/sq ft is a good guide in the Dublin area. It depends on the quality of finishes you go for. However in todays climate you should be able to get the job done cheaper. Ask around and get a few quotes.

Thanks Bamboozle some good tips esp. kitchen discount .
I'd be interested to know who you go with in the end and if it turns out ok.

If you emply in writing that the works are to be carried out under the terms and conditions of a particular contract it is (almost) as good in the eyes of the law as having the contract signed

Just to clarify Joker 538...Do you mean that the builder will write out
what he's doing/how long it takes/and how much and this is the "contract"?
I suppose it's a bit more 'legal' than a verbal contract anyhow.

Alternatively, you could write out to the builder setting out your understanding of the scope, price, payment schedule, milestone dates and that all works will be carried out by appropriately skilled and experienced workmen.

If you wanted you could get him to sign the end of your letter - "agree to the foregoing" (preferably not in some struck off company name!).