any good tips to stop dogs leaving their mess on our garden.

Re: Dog Sh1t

Absolutely no idea how its meant to work.
I believe the theory is that they see the reflection of themselves in the water and it's meant to scare them away. Not sure how scientific it is, sounds like an old urban legend really, but some people swear by it.

I've been driven to distraction by the activities of some of irresponsible dog-owning neighbours, or rather their animals. I've tried those repellant sprays, Jeyes fluid, pine disenfectant, bleach, citrus etc etc- none of them worked. About once a week I have to clean down the front door and porch tiles of our house as somebody's dog is urinating on it, late at night I suspect (a little pee before they go to bed?). It's driving me mad, Mrs C is getting sick and tired of listening to me moan about it, but unless you can catch the culprit in the act you can't go accusing anyone in particular. This is a pretty common phenomenon now I think, people decide they must "have" a dog for whatever reason, so they get the dog (for kids, whatever) and they haven't the time or the interest in actually walking the animal or cleaning up after it. The green areas and private (open plan- nuts!) front gardens in our estate are badly fouled by dogs. The owners just allow their dogs to roam, without leash, rather than bring the animnal for a proper walk. Sorry for the rant but I'd be really interested in any constructive advice. Oh, and don't bother suggesting that I go around and ask my dog owning neighbours to be more considerate- they don't even mind their own kids playing on the fouled up open spaces! I feel sorry for a lot of the animals kept cooped up all day in small suburban gardens; I wouldn't even consider getting a dog- our garden is just too small and my wife and I just wouldn't have the time to look after any animal. Rant over.

Hi Carpenter,

Would a chat with your local dog warden do any good.

Sueellen,
responsible dog owner who spends an hour a day walking her dog
so that he and the neighbours are happy. Also he's not allowed roam

Sueellen,
I will give this consideration if matters don't improve....

Scuby,
The owner of the pet shop where I bought the repellant spray intially suggested the use of a narrow gauge firearm....

Re: Dog excrement

The owner of the pet shop where I bought the repellant spray intially suggested the use of a narrow gauge firearm....
Yes, I can see how that would help Mrs. C. with your moaning!

Re: Dog excrement

Sueellen,
I will give this consideration if matters don't improve....

Scuby,

i do know of some one that had a large dog leaving a nice big dump on their garden every night... he went away and got a cartridge and emptied the leadshot from it and put in oats and left fire at him the next time he was "dropping" by..person lived in the country side so no houses right beside him... he never came back, though he did pass the house at a quick pace after that....
and i'm in no way suggesting that anyone tries this at home, before i get warned