Any good things to do during lockdown

Even though I'm still working and not too locked down i'm thinking of obtaining a Jew's harp and experimenting with making beautiful music.
I think they are called Mouth Harps nowadays.
I've taken to carrying a guitar around the house. I haven't learned to play it but if anyone asks me if I've done anything during lockdown I can say yes, I've taken up the Guitar.

I have just finished painting every door, skirting board, and spindle on my hall stairs and landing. Took my time doing it and now it's finished. That's twice I have done it in 25 years. I had planned on doing a few other rooms in the house but moving heavy furniture to paint a skirting board.....well I couldn't be bothered They will have to do.

This January I have been out in the garden twice doing a bit of a clean up. Over the next few weeks when the weather temperatures improve I will prepare and compost my raised beds and get them ready for planting in early April. It's only a small back garden but I get a decent amount of food from it.

I have thinned out all my paperwork in the house....do I really need to keep my Laya Healthcare or NCT notifications etc. in a box gathering dust, just in case I might need them?

I had hoped that I might have an overseas holiday next September but it is looking less likely, it seems to be one step forward and two steps back at the moment. However I am researching an overseas trip to Canada and putting together a plan so that when the time comes I will have the knowledge about plane routes, locations, hotels, things to do.

Polytunnel cleaned out , built a very rickety seed propagator out of my grandmothers glass cabinet, seeds are now cosy and hopefully will show signs of life in a few weeks.
Moved some of my delicate plants that are over wintering to a sunny spot of 3 hrs of beautiful sunshine, just got them back in Polytunnel.....
Makes me feel alive being in the garden even if a bit cold. Shed has heater next stop and a cup of coffee.

I have been looking for an online crafts course, if anyone can recommend one? Preferably Irish, to support the economy. Thanks

Some people according to a radio show that I wont mention, a good thing to do during lockdown is to go to Gran Canaria.
I , like a lot more people do not agree with this at all. These people were willing to pay the fine , if caught, and still go. Granted they had a positive Covid test before they travelled.

I rarely listen to that show but heard some of it. The elderly lady made a good point, to be fair. “I’m running out of time”. I don’t know what age she was, but for arguments sake, say she is 75 with a life expectancy of 80.
Aged 74-75: lockdown/restrictions.
Aged 76-77: unknown
Aged 79-78: declining health
Age 80: death
She is very much in her autumn years. Is she really doing anything wrong by going to Gran Canaria?
The other lady that called in to berate her said she’s finding it hard too. Lives alone and has been WFH since March, rarely seeing her children who live in different counties. However, she is WFH, which suggests she’d s under 65. She’s got plenty of fuel in the tank to look forward to burning when all this is over. She spoke of the rules and “we’re all in this together”. But that slogan was of the first lockdown, when the plan was simple, “flatten the curve”. There is no plan now. Not only is there no Plan B, there is no Plan A.

That elderly lady in Gran Canaria is spending one of her final years going to the beach, having a cognac in a cafe on the way home, before heading out to a restaurant for the night. Is she wrong to do so?

I certainly enjoy watching the TV shows "A Place in the Sun", "A New Life in the Sun", "Cornwall" and other similar shows. I long to be back visiting the areas that these shows feature. I won't do it though until such time as I am fully vaccinated. Even then I am unsure if my confidence will be back to normal to venture out again for some time.
How these people have the confidence or stupidity to travel from their homes to the airport, stand in queues, travel in planes, get taxis, converse with holiday let owners and hotel staff is sort of alien to me.

That elderly lady in Gran Canaria is spending one of her final years going to the beach, having a cognac in a cafe on the way home, before heading out to a restaurant for the night. Is she wrong to do so?

Thankfully our laws don't work that way. You don't get to choose to ignore some and put others at risk in the process just because you perceive you have little time left.

My son is a fan of the shoveler duck and my daughter a fan of the tufted duck. I’m a fan of the black swan.

I hadn’t any interest in bird-watching since I was in national school but with the lockdown and the kids I’m enjoying it.

Long time since I ate Peking Duck. Having said that, I’m eating more duck now than I every have. The supermarkets are stock it a lot more and the prices are very good.

Not sure if Icould her the kids to eat duck. Not with their fondness for shovelers and tufted duck.

Back