Any good things to do during lockdown

If you want a giggle, YouTube has some priceless videos.
A long time favourite is “chainsaw fails”.
Note, nobody is injured or killed.
Usually trees falling the wrong way onto houses. People thinking they can pull a rope to guide a falling tree in the right direction. Trees falling onto neighbours cars, etc.

A recent favourite topic though is “roomba vs dog poop”. Basically a security camera’s footage of what happens when a dog does its business indoors, followed by a robot vacuum cleaner entering the room.
The expression when the householder gets home... priceless.

Appalled at the rising price of "fancy" light tonic water from Feavertree I noticed that both Aldi and Lidl are doing knock-off versions at about a third of the price.
So tonight we road-tested all three versions plus old standby Slimline Schweppes.
Verdict - bugger all difference.
This also updates another road-test we did last week between Gordon's Gin (€30 )and Aldi and Lidl gin at around €12 each.
Verdict - Aldi gin the clear winner.
So, we have come to the conclusion that Aldi Gin and their tonic or that from Lidl is both the cheapest and tastiest way to get pissed when you're bored during Lockdown.
Which we were and we did tonight.
We have also discovered that Lidl do a very good 3-year-old blended Scotch which is really rather nice.
Not long now before we segue seamlessly into tequila margaritas as sitting outside weather approaches.
Drinking and not getting out of bed until after midday has helped us through this frightful business enormously.

This also updates another road-test we did last week between Gordon's Gin (€30 )and Aldi and Lidl gin at around €12 each
I always pick up a bottle of Larios Gin from the Spanish duty free on the way home. Less than €10 a bottle. My good wife is a nervous flyer. She likes a gin before getting on the plan. A Gin and Tonic in the Spanish bar at the airport was €6. So in to the duty free and buy a bottle for €10, take a slug and Bob's your uncle.....

When you add the tonic water I don't think that there is much difference between expensive and cheap gins, unless they have had flavours added.

I don't have the stamina to drink on a daily basis nor would I want to, but each to his own.

Having done most of the jobs in the garden and a few jobs around the house, last year, I am concerned that I will not have enough to do in 2021. This concerns me. At least on a nice day I can potter in the garden, but on a dull day I sometimes find myself wandering about the house looking for stuff to do. Of course there are those jobs that I should be doing, like tidying out some of the junk presses/drawers, but it would take more than wild horses to get me started on some jobs....

While the rest of the country is bracing itself and hoping the 4th Wave of Covid won't come like a tsunami I'm dealing with the 3rd Wave of Moss in our front and back gardens. The "chemicals free" treatments have the effect of trying to get drunk on wine-gums and dare I say it - are feeding the moss. I've scraped the livin' bejazus out of the lawns ending the 2nd Wave on which it regrouped and is spreading faster than those heading to their holiday homes this week. Both our lawns are now a bright shade of orange and it appears there's some grass in our moss lawns.

My neighbour treated his lawns with stuff he bought God-knows-where (containing every chemical known to man and probably tested in the jungles of south east Asia during the Vietnam War). Both his lawns are now black and even he must scarify with the power of a chain gang.

To hell with it, I'm going in to see some 20 part series on Netflix (if Mrs Lep has finished watching the Crown for the 4th time). At this stage, even the dog thinks we've changed his name to Netflix.

I gave up on the moss a few years back. It beat me. My neighbour has it in his garden, he wasn't bothered removing it so it just spread to our garden. I have actually got to like it. I was even thinking of putting a feature in the middle. Sand with a couple of rocks and make it look like a Japanese garden.

Enjoying the "Your Honor" TV series at the moment...https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7440726/ .

I have not seen a lawn that does not have lots of moss for a long time now. It is everywhere even on tarmac. Power-washing the tarmac is ok but it only lasts for two years before it comes back as strong as ever. The same result with washing powder too.

I know we're not quite in lockdown, but people may not be keen on booking anything major for Valentine's Day which could be cancelled.

O'Briens are running a Valentine's themed online wine tasting, with Rizzardi of Italy, the tasting is €70.
What happens is you will get 4 bottles delivered (1 prosecco, 1 white, 1 red, 1 dessert wine) ahead of the tasting.
Then you are sent a link for Zoom.
The live tasting is on Thursday 10th February but if that doesn't suit, you can watch replay on Youtube.

If you're not keen on all of the bottles, you can just buy the particular ones you are interested in and anyone can watch the Youtube replay.

I did the Christmas one (belatedly on New Years Eve) and it was good fun.

They usually sell out fast!

I know we're not quite in lockdown, but people may not be keen on booking anything major for Valentine's Day which could be cancelled.

O'Briens are running a Valentine's themed online wine tasting, with Rizzardi of Italy, the tasting is €70.
What happens is you will get 4 bottles delivered (1 prosecco, 1 white, 1 red, 1 dessert wine) ahead of the tasting.
Then you are sent a link for Zoom.
The live tasting is on Thursday 10th February but if that doesn't suit, you can watch replay on Youtube.

If you're not keen on all of the bottles, you can just buy the particular ones you are interested in and anyone can watch the Youtube replay.

I did the Christmas one (belatedly on New Years Eve) and it was good fun.

They usually sell out fast!

That's creative

I'm obviously on too many mailing lists... Wines of the World will be doing a blind tasting night of celebrity wines on Friday 12th February, with suggested cheese pairings.

[broken link removed]

Back