Any foodies here? Need Limocello bought Rachmaninoff lemon liqueur in Lidl

Marion

I need Limoncello for a recipe by Nigel Slater.

I bought: Rachmaninoff lemon liqueur in Lidl. Is this more or less the same thing?

It is just to soak the boudoir/lady finger biscuits.

I am trying to re-create a fabulous trifle I had at Christmas - that I obviously did not make. :)

Marion

You can make your own, the waiting time might be an issue here though.

The liqueur will do the trick though.

If you need help taste testing...

Thank you both.

Grizzly I will check out Carluccio's at the weekend.

Leo, if you're around my way Easter Sunday - pop in for a taste. I might even do a control test - Rachmaninoff V Limoncello . :)

Marion

Leo, if you're around my way Easter Sunday - pop in for a taste. I might even do a control test - Rachmaninoff V Limoncello . :)

Tempting! Might be worth the round trip.

By a rather large coincidence, one of the resident foodies here in work made some at the weekend, and I got a bottle. He only infused it for two days, but it's very, very good! Better than some I've tasted in Italy.

Decision made.

I will make it.

Did your friend use the recipe that you linked? What brand of vodka was used?

Marion

Good call! The one he used called for 12 lemons, and just two days infusion.

Good vodka has no flavour, so any decent brand will do the trick.

I have just started the process.

I purchased 5 unwaxed lemons for €2 and also 5 regulars for €1 . I thought I would do a control test.

I bought 1 700ml bottle of Absolute Vodka - based purely on the nice bottle and the fact that it was 40% alcohol as was its rival. (The good looking bottle won.)

I had two Kilner jars ready and divided the lemon strips and vodka between the jars and now the wait begins.

Simple recipe really. Just use a good vegetable peeler to strip the lemons. How easy is that?

I will follow the recipe: 4 days with one jar and I will wait a bit longer with the other to see if time makes a difference to taste.

Add a bit of sugar syrup and hopefully a great Limencello!

Watch this space if you are interested.

Marion

Family members have often made homemade wines and beers but never any spirits. Is there any law stopping people from making spirits in the same way that people make wine and beer?

Interesting question. It seems to come from a very old act, The Illicit Distillation ( Ireland) Act 1831- there's a guide here:

[broken link removed])=

It was fairly common for raids in the 70's and 80's from what I remember as a child, but I haven't come across a case recently.

Interesting question. It seems to come from a very old act, The Illicit Distillation ( Ireland) Act 1831- there's a guide here:

[broken link removed])=

It was fairly common for raids in the 70's and 80's from what I remember as a child, but I haven't come across a case recently.

I remember that too....for health and safety reasons apparently :rolleyes:

I remember that too....for health and safety reasons apparently :rolleyes:

In fairness people used to die from consuming it (as in immediately afterwards, not 20 years later kind of thing) - again havent heard of it being a issue in years - was Connemara not the 'hotbed' of poteen making or maybe that's just the Neil Tobin film I'm recalling.

Thanks for that Vanilla. Very interesting.
I have made wine and beer at home and it turned out pretty well. I would love to try my hand at making a whiskey but not sure how to go about it?

Back