Any excel experts out there....?

A

Arrowmania

Can anyone tell me how to protect a user of an excel sheet from dragging cell entries from one cell to the other?

I want the user to be able to enter in figures in the cell but want to prevent him/her from dragging/copying that information anywhere else in the sheet.

I know that there is an option under Tools/Options/Edit/Allow cell drag and drop to remove this facility.
The trouble is this prevents dragging and dropping from every workbook and I just want to limit this function in this one specific one.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Cludgy way but try using Auto_Open() and Auto_Close() macros. these run each time you open and close a specific file and can be used to customise Workbooks.

Sub Auto_Open()
'
' Auto_Close Macro
' Macro recorded 08/02/2005
'

'
Application.CellDragAndDrop = False
End Sub

This sets the state condition for drag and drop off and the Close macro turns it on when you close the file.

Sub Auto_Close()
'
' Auto_Open Macro
' Macro recorded 08/02/2005 by <>
'

'
Application.CellDragAndDrop = True
End Sub

Hope this helps.

personal name edited by ajapale

Can anyone tell me how to protect a user of an excel sheet from dragging cell entries from one cell to the other?

I want the user to be able to enter in figures in the cell but want to prevent him/her from dragging/copying that information anywhere else in the sheet.

Cell Protection can do this.

You can set a password and allow users to enter data in specific ranges only.

Lock cells

Right Click on cells go to protection Uncheck Locked
Then go to tools-> protection->protect sheet
This will mean you can enter values in the unlocked cells put will be unable to edit the rest of the worksheet

Back