Any advice for a weekend in Derry?

Madam

We were thinking of spending Easter weekend in Derry, as neither of us have spent much time in Northern Ireland and Derry is a manageable 3 hr drive from where we live. Can anyone give any feedback of their experiences? Is it safe enough to wander where you want? Where is good to stay? I’ve been looking at the City Hotel in Queen’s Quay which seems reasonable enough and location is good. I’d appreciate any advice, thanks guys!

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Derry for a weekend. It's plenty safe, but not a lot of charm. Call me biased, but a trip into Donegal might be a better option. Or how about Antrim/Down? Giants Causeway, Mourne Mountains, Carlingford etc.

Apart from the walls, there's not a lot in Derry. Nice enough spot, but you may want to bring a map of Donegal with you in case you get bored on Day 2.
Safety shouldn't be a problem at all.

I spent a weekend in Derry a couple of years ago - halloween festival time, and as Rovers said, not a lot apart from the walls. I visited the Giant's causeway from Derry (about 1 hr drive if I remember) and also Bushmills (hic!) distillery.

I have to agree. Spent a weekend in Derry 2 years ago. V.Dull. The Giant's Causeway and Bushmill's Distillery are worth a visit. Apart from that, quick walk on the walls and zzzzzzzzz.

Heading to Derry this weekend to see Christy Moore at the Forum on Friday night. From previous posts it doesn't seeem like there's a whole lot to do so I'll probably just resort to some shopping on Saturday, which I hear is good and maybe drive across to the Giant's Causeway.

Can anyone recommend a couple of good restaurants? I couldn't find much on the net. Also, if anyone knew of a few nice bars...

Last edited:
Back