Antivirus: Do I need antivirus s/ware if running WinXP ?

G

getoffthepot

Do I need antivirus s/ware if running WinXP ?

title edited by ajapale

Re: Antivirus ?

Check the helpful in this section.

Edited by ClubMan to add link.

Re: Antivirus: Do I need antivirus s/ware if running WinXP

And you should run a firewall if you use dial-up or broadband internet access .Possibly something like (free) ZoneAlarm (which monitors both incoming and outgoing network traffic) even if you enable the Windows XP Service Pack 2 firewall (which only monitors incoming traffic).

Re: Antivirus

Agree with AVG being highly recommended. My Dell PC came with a Macafee 90 day trial, prompted uninstalled it and glad I did!

Any idea where I might get a decent and effective anti spam program for Outlook Express. I tried Cloudmark Safety Bar- terrific but they want Euro 40 per year !!. Spampal is a nightmare to be- I am not clever enough to install it.

Any ideas for a cheap or free program would be appreciated.

There are some anti-spam filters mentioned in the "clean PC" link above as well as in case they're of any use.

Antivirus: Do I need antivirus s/ware if running WinXP ?

Thanks for the replies but XP has a firewall in SP2 so do I still need Zonealarm?

Re: anti spam

My first post above explains the rationale for using something like ZoneAlarm instead of (or in tandem with? not sure if that works?) the one built into XP SP2. The latter only filters incoming traffic. It will not filter outgoing traffic. A firewall that does both is more secure.

Back