anticompetitive behaviour...Wholesale BB provider and Retail BB provider

MargeSimpson

I've been with ISP A for 2 years, fault free. One month ago I moved to ISP B.
Since the then the broadband service has been very poor and last night it just quit completely. I rang B support this morning. According to their support guy (this is speculation on his part ;)), ISP A have moved us off a good card to a bad card because we moved company (spiteful gits!). As a result the line has been degrading since we moved until it got so bad that it just failed completely. Now ISP B have logged a fault call with ISP A and it could take ONE week to fix!!! I am back to commuting 50 miles to work to get network access.

I think that this is disgraceful. After all, ISP B is totally dependant on A for infrastructure and I feel that B is entitled to a good service from A.

Does this mean that my service quality cannot be gauranteed because ISP A is playing hardball? I'm loath to go back to my original service provider after all this crap!!!

Re: childish behaviour...

The technical explanation for the degradation is all heresay as far as I can see. I would not jump to conclusions based on this.

Let me guess. ISP A is eircom and ISP B is Smart telecom? If you feel you have an anticomeitive issue then call comreg.

The technical explanation for the degradation is all heresay as far as I can see. I would not jump to conclusions based on this.
I kind of agree. But I think it's a bit obvious that the line issues started when I switched over. The support guy could see all the problems when he viewed their server logs. I realise that this kind of speculation would never stand up in court but I can't be the only person this happened to. And when I suggested this to their customer care representative she wasn't inclined to disagree.

rkeane, ISP B is not Smart telecom.

I kind of agree. But I think it's a bit obvious that the line issues started when I switched over. The support guy could see all the problems when he viewed their server logs. I realise that this kind of speculation would never stand up in court but I can't be the only person this happened to. And when I suggested this to their customer care representative she wasn't inclined to disagree.

rekeane, ISP B is not Smart telecom.
bt?

Sounds typical...when I changed and had the Debate with Eircom that they were more expensive than my new provider...it came down to"If you were with Eircom and had a fault we would be able to fix it sooner as you're an Eircom customer!!...where as with another provider by the time they tell us and then we have a look etc!!"

Sounds typical...when I changed and had the Debate with Eircom that they were more expensive than my new provider...it came down to"If you were with Eircom and had a fault we would be able to fix it sooner as you're an Eircom customer!!...where as with another provider by the time they tell us and then we have a look etc!!"
In fairness I can understand them putting eircom customers first.

In fairness I can understand them putting eircom customers first.
But as wholesalers to other telcos and as long as LLU is not pervasive they have responsibilities to other companies and their customers too.

But as wholesalers to other telcos and as long as LLU is not pervasive they have responsibilities to other companies and their customers too.
Well yeah, but surely they are going to put eircom customers first.

Well yeah, but surely they are going to put eircom customers first.
But they own the infrastructure. I use their lines, switches, exchanges, etc. Surely they have a responsibility to maintain these even though I use them via a middle man (BT). It still doesn't excuse them bumping me off a good switch (if that is what they have done). I pay for the same type of service as an Eircom customer.

"If you were with Eircom and had a fault we would be able to fix it sooner as you're an Eircom customer!!.
So you pay approx 25e more a month 'cause some Eircom techie is sitting beside the hardware. Sweet!

But they own the infrastructure. I use their lines, switches, exchanges, etc. Surely they have a responsibility to maintain these even though I use them via a middle man (BT). It still doesn't excuse them bumping me off a good switch (if that is what they have done). I pay for the same type of service as an Eircom customer.

So you pay approx 25e more a month 'cause some Eircom techie is sitting beside the hardware. Sweet!
I was replying to penny pincher. If I was an eirocm customer, i'd expect to come before someone who is not.

Marge....

If you are in an ntl two way network get rid of BT and opt for broadband via cable modem....I was one of their first trial customers in D.24 (if only the 2 didn't exist I'd be laughing all the way to the bank !)...Anyway, I digress.....It's an excellent service, my kids use it all the time and technically speaking, the bandwidth speed v contention ratios stack up....One thing that ntl has is lots and lots of bandwidth !

Hope this helps,

r2d2

But is BT not a customer of Eircom, in a way? I don't know the arrangment between Eircom and other ISP's.

I wouldn't give too much credence to what the BT technician is saying. From experience I have found that until proved otherwise they will blame every fault you have on Eircom.

I wouldn't give too much credence to what the BT technician is saying. From experience I have found that until proved otherwise they will blame every fault you have on Eircom.

I would agree with this, every other telco seems to pass on the blame for any and every problem they can as being with eircom. Now its quite possible that when you cancelled with eircom you were physically disconnected from a port which was given to another customer and when you went to BT you were connected to another port which may be on a faulty card - to actually claim this was done just to be spiteful would just seem like a low blow on BT's part, I very much doubt the guys working in the exchanes doing the actual work care one way or the other

I feel the same applies to ESB - if you change to another provider and you have a fault - I presume the ESB customers get priority. Is anyone else of the same opinion?

I would agree with this, every other telco seems to pass on the blame for any and every problem they can as being with eircom. Now its quite possible that when you cancelled with eircom you were physically disconnected from a port which was given to another customer and when you went to BT you were connected to another port which may be on a faulty card - to actually claim this was done just to be spiteful would just seem like a low blow on BT's part, I very much doubt the guys working in the exchanes doing the actual work care one way or the other

Exactly. Until they run a BER test they won't know one way or the other. He is merely speculating and acting in a very unprofessional manner. As a BT customer I have come to expect this. When I was switching over to them the time delay far exceeded ComReg guidelines. They blamed the delay on Eircom but when I went as far as launching a formal complaint with ComReg it emerged that Eircom had responded to the line switching request well within in the time limits specified. It transpired that the bulk of the delays were in BT submitting the line change request to Eircom.

Ok, now that I have seen more opinions, my hostility towards Eircom has waned slightly. I still think that the timing of my network faults was a but dubious, but there is such a thing as coincidence.
I'll just have to spend the next ~week twitching without my internet fix.

It could well be Eircom's fault My main point is that BT are hardly an impartial adjudicator and have a very obvious bias when it comes to apportioning blame.

From my dealings with them I have found their attitude quite unprofessional in this regard.

Back