Anti Virus software

Fubar

Folks,

I currently have McAfee Security Centre installed on my home PC. It came with the PC when I purchased it a few years ago and I just renewed the licence for the last few years. Anyway, its due for renewal again and I was wondering if there are better and possibly cheaper alternatives out there. The one thing I like about McAfee is the parental controls as I have 3 kids and it allows me to set age limits on the websites they can visit. I'm not great on techi matters but I would require something that adequately protects my home pc from attack from cyber space (not that I have much on it) and also lets me set parental controls. All and any advise would be much appreciated.

AVG antivirus free edition and Microsoft security essentials.

ESET NOD32 if you want to buy something.

AVG has parental controls 3 devices a year for $0.99

AVG free version is great. I've been using it for yrs without any problems. You can download it from download.com

Ive had loads of problems with AVG in recent years. MS Essentials is my preferred choice now.

I've recently started using ESET and would recommend them. Very few "false positives" so far too.

I am happy with Norton, very easy to use. It got a bad reputation years ago for slowing your system down but I don't find this with the latest virsion

I posted this back last year.

Kasperskys for me. Nortons is terrible and used a heap of the computer memory.

That is old hat about Norton that is going the rounds for years, they have a new system now

MSE and COMODO firewall for me and I also regularly run Malwarebtes Anti-malware. [broken link removed] is a free internet filter/parental control if you need one or if you want to protect all internet devices at the router point from adult content check out [broken link removed].

Thank you for all your responses and advice. Its invaluable as always and its good to know that there are alternatives to my current software.

.... I would require something that adequately protects my home pc from attack from cyber space (not that I have much on it) and also lets me set parental controls.....

Did anyone actually answer the question though?

I tried using the parental controls in Windows 7 but it seemed to require a lot of tweaking. Haven't tried through an AV solution. Its something I keep meaning to look into more.

http://getparentalcontrols.org/2010/11/02/getparentalcontrols-org-internet-filtering-review-roundup/

http://getparentalcontrols.org/parental-controls/internet/

I've been recommended K9 but I've not tried so can't comment further.

I can also recommend ESET.

It works and it doesn't annoy you with loads of popups.