Another newspaper article, another sport sullied totally unnecessarily

Betsy Og

Assault/manslaughter case in Cork. Headline "..rugby player guilty of manslaughter". Case had nothing to do with rugby high up or low down. Not on the pitch, in the bar after, related to a rugby argument, you wouldnt know this guy from rugby. I'm usually aggrieved on behalf of the GAA, but what do newspapers have against team sports??

It's lazy headline writers. They get bored with "man guilty of manslaughter", so it's father this, or rugby player that, or taxi driver or whatever.
I'm surprised they didn't upgrade it to "rugby star".
See also "Families to suffer because of government cuts" even when everyone in the state is affected.

There's no such thing as an individual anymore.

I remember similar from a few years ago when there was a high-profile case in which someone was killed and the driver was convicted of manslaughter. Media reports kept referring to the perpetrator's profession, e.g. Accountant Joe Bloggs. I fail to see why that choice was made; it was not relevant to the incident.

They look for an easy hook that people will have an opinion on to get more people to read the article. Many more people will read an article titled 'rugby player guilty of manslaughter' than will read one headed 'man guilty of manslaughter'.

Back