Annual Travel Insurance: Renewal with complications

Booter

We have booked a holiday, months ago, which commences on 16th March.
In the meantime the annual insurance policy, in place for a number of years, is due for renewal on Friday 29th (ie two weeks prior to trip)
However, between booking the trip and the present date, a family member has been taken ill, and pending outcome of certain tests, we may cancel trip.
It seems clear that the policy covers cancellation in this instance. The complication is this - we would like to leave the decision to cancel as late as possible, so we have the full picture regarding family member. My question is, when renewing policy on Feb 29th, am I now obliged to inform insurer that family member is unwell and undergoing tests as an inpatient, even though this is a simple renewal of an existing policy?

Thanks

In my opinion you are obliged to tell the insurer of anything relevant to the policy. I recently renewed my policy with VHI and it states ''I declare that to the best of my knowledge and belief the information provided is true and complete and the policyholder has not concealed anything material from the insurers.''

Back