Anglo Irish shares: shares have been removed from the register. What does this mean?

dickens

I bought some Anglo Irish shares last year. Now I've got a letter from my broker saying the shares have been removed from the register.
Does this mean the shares have actually ceased to exist? If the government has taken over ownership of all the shares does it mean the shareholders are at a total loss?

dickens.

Re: Anglo Irish shares: shares have been removed from the register. What does this me

yes.

government has taken the shares and at some atage in the future an inspector will be appointed to see if there is any value on the bank that will be returned to the shareholders.

Re: Anglo Irish shares: shares have been removed from the register. What does this me

Does this mean that one can write them off as a capital loss - and would that be for 2008 or 2009?

Thanks Ravima for that answer, but you seem to be holding out some hope however slender that some money may come back in the future.

Back