Anglo HQ raided by Gardai

Teatime

[broken link removed]

Well done lads but why wait for a public outcry before performing your duty ?

I imagine the shredding machines have cooled down at this point...

I hope the Gardai have the good sense to check the refuse bins and sewers.

Didn't some minister yesterday on Questions & Answers said that he would love to have the perp walk but because of due process we can't?

Anyhow a raid means nothing beside them trying to collect evidence, I wait for due process to see if anybody actualy get's charged about something.

On this one I'm actualy with the goverment (shock, horror) due process is due process and one is innocent until a court says otherwise.

Due process and just cause?

Nonsense. They are only going in to investigate now whereas Fitzpatrick and Drumm resigned in December !!
The officials knew about these dodgy dealings months ago. They should not have waited for the public demand.

Fitzpatrick and Drumm resigned in December !!

Who's Drumm and what did he resign from?

David Drumm, former chief executive of Anglo. Resigned following Fitzpatrick's resignation.

Where is the Due Process in the case of the guy who is arrested for, say, shoplifting, and is kept in custidy until he is found guilty or indeed found not guilty. What is so different about these people

Where is the Due Process in the case of the guy who is arrested for, say, shoplifting, and is kept in custidy until he is found guilty or indeed found not guilty. What is so different about these people

I agree.

Not talking about Anglo - aimed more the entire banking industry. If there is reasonable cause to believe that some serious crimes have been committed, then the suspects should be remanded in custody. All of these characters have the financial means to skip the country very quickly and survive abroad almost indefinately. The chances of them sticking around to serve a long jail sentance is minimal. We've seen it with other white collar suspects in the past. I'd say that it is the exception rather than the rule that they stick around to take their punishment. If ever there is a case for remanding in custody, these banking scandals are it. Otherwise we're going to spend years trying to extradite them from some obscure country, and given the age profile of some of them, its likely that they will have passed away before they come to justice.

What's different about "these people" is that they are major supporters of Zanu FF. Fitzpatrick never made a secret of this. In fact, Anglo Irish Bank was often referred to as the FF Bank.

This so-called raid on the offices of Anglo Irish Bank is merely a PR exercise to satisfy the opposition. I predict that nothing will come of it, but I hope I will be proved incorrect.

This so-called raid on the offices of Anglo Irish Bank is merely a PR exercise to satisfy the opposition. I predict that nothing will come of it, but I hope I will be proved incorrect.

On what basis do you know this? The raid is being conducted by the Director of Corporate Enforcement (a public official) assisted by Gardaí, and with the participation of the Bank Regulator (new model). Are you implying that these people are political puppets?

Are you implying that these people are political puppets?

Certainly not political puppets.

But, remember, the Commissioner reports to the Minister for Justice, and the ODCE is part of the DoET&E ( or maybe DoJ, i am not sure). It seems to me to be quite a coincidence that this raid happened the day after Martin Cullen was given a hard time on Questions & Answers over Govt inaction.

Anyhow, I am willing to bet that neither Fiztpatrick, not Drumm, nor McAteer will be charged with anything. I do hope that the Institute of Chartered Accountants Disciplinary Committee will conduct a full examination and take appropriate action.

Certainly not political puppets.

But, remember, the Commissioner reports to the Minister for Justice, and the ODCE is part of the DoET&E ( or maybe DoJ, i am not sure).

From the Office's own publication:
"The Director of Corporate Enforcement is required under the Company Law Enforcement Act 2001 to be independent in discharging his compliance and enforcement role."

From the Office's own publication:
"The Director of Corporate Enforcement is required under the Company Law Enforcement Act 2001 to be independent in discharging his compliance and enforcement role."

I presume the former regulator had similar responsibilities.