Android phone for copy of outlook mails or RDP

Frank

Quick query

My home mail comes into Outlook.

I would like to be able to check this on the run form time to time.

I have a htc desire S

I know I can set my outlook to forward mails to Gmail which I have on the phone.

Question is

Can I setup a RDP to look at my laptop that is always on on UPC BB?

Can I see the outlook upcmail on my phone which is being downloaded to outlook on always on laptop?

I am sure lot's of yee have done this so easy solutiond please.

The mail on your home system Outlook is getting mail from somewhere, probably a POP server with your ISP. Check the account settings on Outlook under Tools > Account Settings wheer you will see the details of incoming mail server.

I am guessing you don't know at the moment so perhaps you don;t have your pwd either, so you'll have to check that.

Then in the regular Android mail client you can put in the pop setting. Not sure if Gmail collects external pop mail but I guess it can, in which case just look for POP mail in the Gmail help topics.

You also have to decide what happens when you retrieve e-mails from the POP server - should a copy be left on the server or should it be deleted?

For example, if you read the e-mail on your phone, do you also want it to appear in Outlook the next time you receive mail in Outlook?

This is the thing.

The laptop is on all the time
I want the mails to be kept in outlook for future reference..

I beleive that they are deleted when outlook receives them so potentially they are gone.

This is where I thought an RDP might work.
Let the laptop pick them up and just view remotely to see what has come in if need be.

As long as I have a decent connection I am not using any of the memory on the phone to store mails.

Hi Frank,

You might be overthinking the problem a little. It's likely that you could find an RDP to get access to your laptop, but since you're using UPC you're unlikely to have a static IP address (which would be needed for RDP), which means you need to use an online service which allows you get access to your UPC router. Then you'll have to configure your router to redirect you to your laptop for RDP requests.

Now the good news: You can set up Outlook to leave an email message on the server for a certain period (say 14 days), then set up your phone to also receive the emails (this needs to be configured to never delete messages for the server). Using this scheme you'll always have a copy of the mail on Outlook, and will also have access on your phone...

perfect just what I needed to know

Thanks I knew someone would have an idea to suit.

I don't understand what you are doing tbh.

I have my outlook configured so I pull all the pop3 email into a local PST file, and leave it on the server till deleted. I actually bring in my Gmail into outlook aswell, so its all backed up into a local PST file. These PST files themselves get backed up to my backup drives.

Seperately. My gmail also pulls in the pop3, so I can see that anywhere I have web access. Its get labelled automatically, so I can sort it from my other Gmail account.

You shouldn't need to leave a machine on, or use remote desktop either. Also most pop3 providers usually have a webmail access aswell.

laptop is left on out of laziness

I hate waiting for it to boot and waste enough time without cleaning it up to boot faster.

Someone also mentioned that the worst component stress happens going from cold powered off to on, A light bulb is less likley to blow if it is never turned off.

I know it is a waste of energy but not enough to worry.

I am trying to have the backup of emails on my laptop for reference with the convenience of being able to check them on the go with the android.

Unless you are doing vast amounts of emails or daft attachment, I would be surprised if that would be an issue.