And where is Mary!!!! in new zealand- ha

NOAH

What a great job and what a great system we have, in the mire with borrowing money, off she goes for 15 days.... nice holiday, plus hubby. we dont deserve to recover with people like this in goverment.

Bring on the IMF.

noah

...And also four advisers as well.
Probably to suggest what wine to have with her lamb and chips.

No doubt she'll be bringing back bucket loads of New Zealand jobs after her two week holiday.

Shushhhh! In case she wants the government jet to get back :)

It's the 21st century, why should she be here to manage an issue?. My boss is based in England, his is in Belgium and hers is in California, yet we still manage to keep up to date with what is happening and deal with any issues via email, conferance calls and video conferancing.

It reminds of a counciler on the telly during the snow saying that the council hadn't met because they couldn't get together. The concept of someone setting up a conferance call and everyone dialing in seemed to be beyond their thinking. You don't need to be in the same room as someone these days to have a meeting

It's the 21st century, why should she be here to manage an issue?. My boss is based in England, his is in Belgium and hers is in California, yet we still manage to keep up to date with what is happening and deal with any issues via email, conferance calls and video conferancing.

It reminds of a counciler on the telly during the snow saying that the council hadn't met because they couldn't get together. The concept of someone setting up a conferance call and everyone dialing in seemed to be beyond their thinking. You don't need to be in the same room as someone these days to have a meeting
Having used both voice conferencing and video conferencing extensively, they are not the same as being in the room with the person. They are both useful, and serve a purpose, but they don't work for everything.

She failed to manage the issue when she was here, despite the issue being raised in her meeting with the Chair of the hospital. So I don't think it makes a lot of difference whether she is here or not (apart from the extra cost to the State of supporting her junkets).

Having used both voice conferencing and video conferencing extensively, they are not the same as being in the room with the person. They are both useful, and serve a purpose, but they don't work for everything.

She failed to manage the issue when she was here, despite the issue being raised in her meeting with the Chair of the hospital. So I don't think it makes a lot of difference whether she is here or not (apart from the extra cost to the State of supporting her junkets).

I have no arguement that she failed to manage this issue, although she is probably far from being the only person responsible. I don't see what would be achieved by flying back in a panic regardless of how competent (or incompetent) she actually is.

I have no arguement that she failed to manage this issue, although she is probably far from being the only person responsible. I don't see what would be achieved by flying back in a panic regardless of how competent (or incompetent) she actually is.
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting she should fly back in panic. In fact, I'd be quite happy to see her settling down in NZ and not coming back at all, once we're not paying her bills.

just to clarify, i'm not suggesting she should fly back in panic. In fact, i'd be quite happy to see her settling down in nz and not coming back at all, once we're not paying her bills.
+1.

Ive posted here about this on many occasions but I believe Ministers should go on a lot more trips abroad.

On her return she should have to submit an essay, report or blog outlining her learnings on the Health System in NZ within 4 or 5 days.

Failure to submit a meaningfull report and she would forfeit her privilege to travel for say 13mo!

Why should she be in New Zealand then? - can't that be done via teleconferencing?

We rarely travel for our business any more, everything is done via teleconferencing. Yet, we are still expected to pay for some TD and their buddies, holidays.

We shouldn't allow them back into the country.

If Ministers for Health stay in this country 52 weeks a year, there'll be plenty of time for them to do firefighting exercises - taking responsibility for every staff or system blunder, or doing photo-ops entering Tallaght hospital pretending to tell someone who seems thoroughly professional and intelligent (the new CEO) how to do his job.

If the minister for health spends his or her time permanently in crisis management mode then he or she'll will never learn from other countries. It's important that the people in charge are prepared and allowed to step outside and learn from time to time.

Outside of people who read (for want of a better word) the Daily Mail most think that the improvements imported from Canada to improve our cancer treatment are a good thing.

Were the trips to Canada a waste of time and money? Should they have been done on the phone? How do you cost those "junkets" versus the improved health outcomes?

Now we're visiting another country not entirely dissimilar to us with limited resources and who no doubt do many things better.

Hospitals in the English speaking world have Irish staff at all levels of operation, these staff often will go out of their way to meet with the minister and share their experiences. Getting advice, different viewpoints, ideas, maybe even encouraging back some of the staff to help implement the ideas, comes from trips like these.

And you need to be there, you need to meet the people who're doing the work and too busy to come here, you need to bypass the layers of bureaucracy that will normally exist when somebody has an idea they want to bring to a minister. You have to be able to meet people in corridors on the way to meetings, or bring someone into the meeting who just happens to be around.

This is where the minister needs to be be in person, not out in Tallaght hospital telling people working flat out to work faster because some mistakenly think that's the minister's job.

I see from one of the newspapers that Joan Burton TD is actually a member of the Board of Tallaght Hospital. So if any politician is "responsible" for the mess, why not start with Saint Joan. She is on the Board. We are continually being told by Saint Joan that the Board members of Banks should resign, so how about it??

Perhaps Conan shouldn't be in such a hurry as to believe everything he reads in the papers; [broken link removed]

Opposition TDs don't often get appointed to boards of publicly funded bodies.

Back