AN POST

MaryBe

Good afternoon, My blood pressure is literelly through the roof. On July 19th a small parcel was mailed through the Royal Mail (UK) to myself in Ireland. I was informed by the seller that the parcel should arrive by July 30th. I gave it an extra week and then asked our local postman. He checked the tracking system and told me the parcel was held in transit as the Electronic filling was incorrect or incomplete. I contacted An Post and was advised that the parcel had left Ireland. This was untrue as it did not leave Ireland until August 14th. So now it is stuck somewhere in England and the Royal Mail say they do not have it. I also spoke with Customs in Ireland and was assured they did not put a hold on it. Apparently, An Post have a system that stops packages without the full detail on the electronic filing. They could have contacted me before returning the parcel and I would have done my best to sort the problem. Has anyone any experience of this. All because the UK is not in the EU anymore

It’s the norm since last year. Bigger companies in the UK complete the necessary paperwork to avoid packages being stopped and returned but even then the recipient may still be subject to customs charges before the package can be released.

Smaller companies and individuals in the UK aren’t necessarily aware of the new requirements.

They could have contacted me before returning the parcel and I would have done my best to sort the problem.
Legally it is the senders responsibility to ensure this is correct and resolve any issues that arise. The fault here is entirely the sender's.

Yep, had the same issue last year and the core of the problem was the SME in the UK did not understand how to fill out a simple form and were not used to exporting. I ended up doing a chargeback and getting my money back.

Reactions: Leo