An Post - why no post delivered today Wed 29 December 2010?

highly

Hi

Does anyone know, or can anyone provide, a reasonable explanation as to why An Post are not delivering today?

The post offices are closed until tomorrow and service will resume then - it just seems utter madness. We haven't had post in over 10 days - in Dublin 16. I can understand the health and safety risks associated when there was bad snow and ice but there doesn't seem to be any reason whatsoever that post would not be delivered today. We are urgently waiting for important post.

Is this more public sector madness or am I missing something blindingly obvious....??

Thanks

But it's a bank holiday, why would you expect AnPost to delivery mail on a bank holiday?

It seams to be standard that no mail is delivered (at least in my area) on a bank holiday, which is why mail was not resumed on Monday as I would expect.

Not that my credit card bills / utility bills (somewhere in the backlog) cares about that, they still want to be paid on time.

It's not a bank holiday today - it was a bank holiday on Monday & Tuesday which were carried over from Christmas Day and St. Stephens Day. Today is a normal working day. That's why I'm so irate......

It's not a bank holiday today - it was a bank holiday on Monday & Tuesday which were carried over from Christmas Day and St. Stephens Day. Today is a normal working day. That's why I'm so irate......

Not really. Public holidays do not carry over. Just because these 2 days have fallen onto Saturday/Sunday does not make Monday/Tuesday public holidays. In fact Monday/Tuesday were normal working days for those of us who are only are entitled for public holidays but not bank holidays.

However IPSO shows you nicley that today is a bank holiday .

Same applies for next week Monday (3rd of January 2011), it's not a public holiday (as the 1st does not carry over) but it's a bank holiday.

So if AnPost would follow public holidays than Monday would have been the 1st day of delivery, but because they do seam to follow bank holidays it's going to Thursday.

So those on bank holiday schedule had 3 days off, those on public holiday schedule none. We really must thank our banks more for those extra days.

I'm off today but it's a concession day.

I got yesterday and the day before off in lieu of the public holidays, but I'm entitled to those under the Org of Working Time Act, same for next Monday or so I thought.

I'm off today but it's a concession day.

I got yesterday and the day before off in lieu of the public holidays, but I'm entitled to those under the Org of Working Time Act, same for next Monday or so I thought.

Well not really, most employers might give you off, but if it falls on a weekend than it falls on a weekend no right to get another day off.

Our Goverment has a nice summary here:

[broken link removed]

The Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 only comes into play if you worked on this Saturday/Sunday (like in the shops that were open), it does not give you another day off just because the public holiday is on a weekend.

I was amazed to see how many of my co-workers were of the opinion that Monday/Tuesday were public holidays.

I think the men and women at An Post will have deserved it if they had a day off today Wed 29th!

Well not really, most employers might give you off, but if it falls on a weekend than it falls on a weekend no right to get another day off.

Our Goverment has a nice summary here:

[broken link removed]

The Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 only comes into play if you worked on this Saturday/Sunday (like in the shops that were open), it does not give you another day off just because the public holiday is on a weekend.

That's not how I read it. In lieu of the sat and sun I'm entitled to;

A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
An additional day of annual leave
An additional day’s pay
The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off.

Just so happens I was given mon and tues but I accept I'm only entitled to one of the above.

Back